Calculating Entropy Change of Isothermal Gas Compression | Homework Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work, change in entropy of the gas, and change in entropy of the heat bath for an ideal gas being compressed quasistatically and isothermally. The conversation also addresses whether these quantities will be higher, lower, or the same if the compression is non-quasistatic. It is determined that the work will be the same, but there is uncertainty about the change in entropy for a non-quasistatic process. The effect of compression speed on temperature, pressure, and work is also discussed.
henryc09

Homework Statement

(a) A piston is used to compress an ideal gas quasistatically from volume Vi to volume Vf . If the gas is in thermal contact with a heat bath at temperature T, such that the compression is carried out isothermally, calculate the work done on the gas, the change in entropy of the gas and the change in entropy of the heat bath
(b) The compression is repeated but but non-quasistatically. Are the three calculated quantities higher, lower, or the same as before?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a) I said that W=-NkT*ln(Vf/Vi), and [tex]\Delta[/tex]E = 0, so [tex]\Delta[/tex]Q = NkT*ln(Vf/Vi).

Then as it's quasistatic [tex]\Delta[/tex]Sgas = [tex]\Delta[/tex]Q/T = Nk*ln(Vf/Vi)

I then said as it's quasistatic [tex]\Delta[/tex]Suniverse=[tex]\Delta[/tex]Sgas + [tex]\Delta[/tex]Sbath=0
so [tex]\Delta[/tex]Sbath = -Nk*ln(Vf/Vi)

I think this is right but confirmation would be good. For (b) I said that [tex]\Delta[/tex]Sgas will be the same as it's a state variable, but as the entropy of the universe must increase the bath's entropy must increase. The only thing I'm unsure about is whether or not the work increases/decreases/stays the same. Anyone got any ideas about how to approach this?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi
why don't you look at the part about joule expansion in the blundell book?
it has an example that is similar-ish, but I am nt sure whether it givs the right answer for a
as for b and c and d, i hav no idea
now do u know how to do the second part of que 2b on the prob sheet? if so, please reply to the thread i started

I don't have the Blundell book, and I haven't got that far yet no.

I think I've figured this out though, but again confirmation would be good:

work will be the same as [tex]\Delta[/tex]Sgas is the same therefore [tex]\Delta[/tex]Q is the same. As T is constant [tex]\Delta[/tex]E is 0 so [tex]\Delta[/tex]Q=-[tex]\Delta[/tex]W as before.

i dunno
im too tired to think
but i looked at what someone else did and they agree with the textbook when they hav the entropy change of gas= -entropy change of heat bath, but i don't know what we are supposed to express the entropy in. the textbook expresses it in terms of R and stuff but someone else got it in terms of kT or something

do you know what difference it makes whether the compression is quasistatic or not?

i've heard ppl say that the change in entropy for que1b would be higher because of the dSi (dS subcript i) term in the equation for a non-quasistatic process:

dS=(dQ/Tr)+dSi

but I am not sure
does anyone know for sure please?

henryc09 said:
The only thing I'm unsure about is whether or not the work increases/decreases/stays the same. Anyone got any ideas about how to approach this?
If the compression occurs very quickly what happens to the temperature of the gas? What effect does that have on pressure and the work that must be done on the gas to compress the gas?

AM

but if the pressure increases but volume decreases and W=pdV then what difference does it make to the work done?

Related to Calculating Entropy Change of Isothermal Gas Compression | Homework Solution

What is entropy change?

Entropy change is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic property that describes the change in the system's energy distribution and the likelihood of the system to reach a state of equilibrium.

What causes entropy change?

Entropy change is caused by energy transfer or transformation in a system. This transfer or transformation can be in the form of heat, work, or chemical reactions. The more energy is dispersed or spread out in a system, the greater the entropy change.

How is entropy change calculated?

Entropy change is calculated using the formula ΔS = Qrev/T, where ΔS represents the change in entropy, Qrev represents the reversible heat transfer, and T represents the temperature in Kelvin. This formula applies to both reversible and irreversible processes.

What is the relationship between entropy change and spontaneity?

Entropy change and spontaneity are directly related. A positive entropy change indicates an increase in disorder and leads to a spontaneous process, while a negative entropy change indicates a decrease in disorder and leads to a non-spontaneous process. In simple terms, a spontaneous process is one that occurs naturally without any external influence.

How does entropy change relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time or remain constant in ideal cases. This law is directly related to entropy change, as any process that results in an increase in entropy is in accordance with the second law of thermodynamics.