Calculating Entropy Changes for a Solid Warming from 20C to 100C

In summary, a solid with constant heat capacity is heated from 20 C to 100 C in three different ways: by placing it in contact with a large reservoir at 100 C, by placing it first in contact with a large reservoir at 50 C and then with a reservoir at 100 C, and by operating a reversible heat engine between it and the reservoir at 100 C. The total entropy change for case a) is 0.026, for case b) it is 0.013, and for case c) it is 0.
HalfManHalfAmazing

Homework Statement

A solid with constant heat capacity is warmed from 20 C to 100 C in 3 different ways:
a) by placing it in contact with a large reservoir at 100 C
b) by placing it first in cantact with a large reservoir at 50 C until it reaches that temperature and then in contact with a reservoir at 100 C
c) by operating a reversible heat engine between it and the reservoir at 100 C

For each of these cases, what are the entropy changes of the solid, the reservoirs and the total entropy change?

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_{T_i}^{T_f} \frac{C} {T} dT [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Because entropy is a state function, it is path independent and thus shouldn't the 'total' entropy change for all 3 be zero? Also, to actually calculate the entropy change in the gas we can simply integrate over the temperature difference. And the entropy change in the reservoirs should be the negative of that. Corrections please! :!)

Physics news on Phys.org
The entropy is indeed a state function. So you are correct that entropy in the solid doesn't depend on the path. But entropy is not conserved. So you can't conclude that anything is the negative of anything.

Last edited:
HalfManHalfAmazing said:
Because entropy is a state function, it is path independent and thus shouldn't the 'total' entropy change for all 3 be zero? Also, to actually calculate the entropy change in the gas we can simply integrate over the temperature difference. And the entropy change in the reservoirs should be the negative of that. Corrections please! :!)
Why? dS = dQ/T where dS is the change in entropy of the object, dQ is the heat flow into or out of the object, and T is the temperature of the object. If I have an object at 0 degrees C (273K) in contact with a reservoir at 100 degrees C (373K), the change in entropy of the object is dQ/273 and the change in entropy of the reservoir is -dQ/373.

AM

Entropy is a state function, so it doesn't depend on the path. But what do depend on the path is the number of items that will suffer a change in entropy. First case is the system and the hot reservoir, second case has a second reservoir that will be involved and in the third case you will have some work produced.
There is another and important thing to take into account: changes on S are usually calculated through the heat transfer, but heat transfer is dependent on path.

In response to Andrew Mason:

Sorry I'm having a little trouble understanding this concept of entropy change. When we have the entropy change of changing temperture, we just throw in the initial temperature of the object to the equation dS = dQ/T? Don't need need to integrate? If we just solve that dS question, how do we bring the heat capacity into the equation? For dQ, do we sub in dE (from first law) and C = dE/dT? Thanks!

Okay. I found the expression for the entropy change of the solid in the first path:

dS = C ln ( Tf/Ti )

and i see that the entropy change in the reservoir must be dS = dQ / 373. But is that as 'simple' as I can get the answers? Or can I actually dQ?

Edit: I found a way get dQ: C = dQ/dT thus dQ = C( Tf - Ti )

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I got all the answers!

For a) I found:

Change in S total = C (0.026)

For b) : dS = C (0.013)

For c) : dS = 0

Related to Calculating Entropy Changes for a Solid Warming from 20C to 100C

1. What is entropy change?

Entropy change is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is commonly denoted by ΔS and can be calculated using the formula ΔS = Q/T, where Q is the heat energy transferred and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

2. How is entropy change calculated for a solid warming from 20C to 100C?

To calculate entropy change for a solid warming from 20C to 100C, you will need to know the heat capacity of the solid, the initial and final temperatures, and the amount of heat energy transferred. Then, you can use the formula ΔS = Q/T to calculate the change in entropy.

3. Why does entropy change when a solid is warmed?

When a solid is warmed, the molecules within the solid gain kinetic energy and begin to vibrate more rapidly. This increase in molecular motion leads to an increase in disorder and randomness, resulting in a change in entropy.

4. Is there a difference in entropy change for warming a solid from 20C to 100C compared to cooling it from 100C to 20C?

No, the change in entropy will be the same regardless of whether the solid is being warmed or cooled between the same temperature range. This is because the change in entropy is dependent on the temperature change and not the direction of the change.

5. Can entropy change be negative?

Yes, entropy change can be negative. This occurs when the disorder or randomness in a system decreases, such as when a gas is compressed or a liquid is frozen. However, overall in the universe, the total entropy is always increasing in accordance with the second law of thermodynamics.