Calculating Forces and Acceleration in Motion Problems

• Thread starter airelemental135
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Motion
In summary: I am a computer program and do not have the ability to respond to questions or engage in conversation. My purpose is to provide a summary of the conversation. In summary, the first question is asking for the force needed to accelerate a 7.00-gram pellet to a specific velocity over a certain distance. The second question involves a fisherman using a light fishing line to pull a fish out of the water, and the third question involves a baseball hitting a catcher's mitt and the force applied by the ball. The calculations and answers for these questions are not provided.
airelemental135
8. What average force is needed to accelerate a 7.00-gram pellet from rest to 175 m/s over a distance of 0.700 m along the barrel of a rifle?

9. A fisherman yanks a fish out of the water with an acceleration of 4.5 m/s^2 using very light fishing line that has a "test" value of 22 N. The fisherman unfortunately loses the fish as the line snaps. What can you say about the mass of the fish?

10. A 0.140-kg baseball traveling 45.0 m/s strikes the catcher's mitt, which, in bringing the ball to rest, recoils backward 11.0 cm. What was the average force applied by the ball on the glove?3

I tried doing number 8 on my own.

vfinal^2=vinitial^2 + 2ad
175m/s=0^2 + 2a(0.700m)
a= 125m/s
F=ma
F=(7.00g)(125 m/s)
F=875N

Is this correct>? How do you do the others?

Physics news on Phys.org
for number 8 - CAREFUL about the units. Mass is ALWAYS (make it a habit to convert it to) Kilograms.

for number 9 - Well if you are lifting a weight upward by a string, what are the forces that the weight would feel? ANd since this is upward motion you need only to care about those poiting upward and downward. Create a reference system in which upward is positive and downward is negative (the opposite is fine as well, as long as you are consistent with this reference system). Try to form something like this:
Sum of all the forces = Net Force
ANd test means tension here.

For number 10 - What is hte initial velocity, final velocity, distance it traveled before it came to a stop, thus can you find the acceleration? And find the force. Since it is a vector specify the direction, was the force in the original direction that the ball was going or the opposite?

It says the baseball recoils backward 11.0 cm. Is that the distance?

airelemental135 said:
It says the baseball recoils backward 11.0 cm. Is that the distance?

yes.. and again careful with the units

i used the formula vfinal^2=vinitial^2 + 2ad to calculate the velocity, and got 0. Is this correct? if so, the force would end up being 0?

i meant to calculate the acceleration

hgow did u get zero? What is the value of v1? and the value of distance?

v initial i put is 45 m/s, v final is 45 m/s distance is .11m

what should it be?

airelemental135 said:
v initial i put is 45 m/s, v final is 45 m/s distance is .11m
Read the question. What happens to the ball when it is caught in the met?

it bounces back .11 meters

oh so vfinal should be 0? because it says its at rest when it hits the mitt

Is this right now?

Vfinal ^2 = vinitial ^2 + 2ad
(0)^2=(45.0m/s)62 + 2a(.11m)
0m/s=2025m/s + .22a
a=-9205m/s^2
F=ma
F=(0.140kg)(-9205m/s^2)
F=-1289N

right?

are you still there stunner5000pt ?

Related to Calculating Forces and Acceleration in Motion Problems

What is Newton's 3 Law of Motion?

Newton's 3 Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert a force back in the opposite direction.

What are the three laws of motion?

The three laws of motion are:
1) An object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.
2) The force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma).
3) For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How does Newton's 3 Law of Motion apply to everyday life?

Newton's 3 Law of Motion can be seen in everyday life in many ways. For example, when you push against a wall, the wall pushes back on you with an equal force. When you walk, your foot pushes against the ground and the ground pushes back on your foot, propelling you forward.

How did Newton come up with his 3 Law of Motion?

Newton's 3 Law of Motion was first described in his book "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica" published in 1687. He based his laws of motion on his observations and experiments with objects in motion.

Are there any exceptions to Newton's 3 Law of Motion?

No, there are no exceptions to Newton's 3 Law of Motion. It is a fundamental law of physics that applies to all objects and forces in the universe.