Calculating Initial Speed - Revisited

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving an egg being thrown vertically near a tall building. The correct answer to the question of the initial speed of the egg is 14.5 m/s, which was found by the person asking for clarification. They also ask for help with figuring out the height the egg rises to, the magnitude of its velocity at the highest point, and the magnitude of its acceleration at the highest point. However, they later realize their mistake and apologize for it.
milosport
I found the exact question I'm trying figure out here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=91948

My exercises are all online and I can view the correct answer if I choose to (or if I answer incorrectly 5 times). Well, now I know the correct answer is 14.5 m/s. I still don't understand how they end up with this. Any clarification would be great! Dumb it down for me!

Here is the problem:

An egg is thrown nearly vertically upward from a point near the cornice of a tall building. It just misses the cornice on the way down and passes a point a distance 50.0 m below its starting point at a time 5.00 s after it leaves the thrower's hand. Air resistance may be ignored.

What is the initial speed of the egg? apparently 14.5 m/s

It also asks:

How high does it rise above its starting point?

What is the magnitude of its velocity at the highest point?

What is the magnitude of its acceleration at the highest point?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show what you've figured out so far and where you are stuck.

Sorry, I found what I was doing wrong. Screwed up the algebra :blushing:

1. How do you calculate initial speed?

The initial speed of an object can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This formula is expressed as: initial speed = distance / time.

2. What is the difference between initial speed and average speed?

Initial speed refers to the speed of an object at the beginning of its motion, while average speed refers to the overall speed of an object during its entire motion. Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken.

3. Is initial speed the same as velocity?

No, initial speed and velocity are not the same. Velocity not only takes into account the speed of an object, but also its direction of motion. Initial speed only considers the magnitude of an object's speed at the beginning of its motion.

4. How do you calculate initial speed from a velocity-time graph?

To calculate initial speed from a velocity-time graph, find the point on the graph that represents the initial time (usually when the object starts moving), and read the corresponding velocity value. This velocity value is the initial speed.

5. Can initial speed be negative?

Yes, initial speed can be negative if the object is moving in the negative direction. In this case, the initial speed would indicate the magnitude of the object's speed in the negative direction.