Calculating Momentum Change for Rocket Course Alteration

In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding a rocket's trajectory and the amount of gas mass that needs to be expelled in order to alter its course. The solution involves calculating the momentum added in the perpendicular direction.
daxter17
Hey, I've been having trouble with the following question, and I've tried all I can think of and still can't get it. Your help is much appreciated.

"A rocket with a total mass of 3700kg is traveling in outer space with a velocity of 110m/s towards the sun. It wishes to alter its course by 35.0 degrees, and can do this by firing its rockets briefly in direction perpendicular to its original motion. If the rocket gases are expelled at a speed of 1900m/s, how much gas mass must be expelled?"

I already know the answer, its just a matter of getting to the answer that I have trouble with. A detailed explanation in other words.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi daxter17! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: how much momentum is being expelled per second? :wink:

It doesn't say really that's the question right out of the textbook. Wish I could help more but I'm stuck myself.

daxter17 said:
"A rocket with a total mass of 3700kg is traveling in outer space with a velocity of 110m/s towards the sun. It wishes to alter its course by 35.0 degrees, and can do this by firing its rockets briefly in direction perpendicular to its original motion.

ok, so how much momentum is added in that perpendicular direction? :smile:

Related to Calculating Momentum Change for Rocket Course Alteration

1. What is rocket momentum?

Rocket momentum is the measure of the motion of a rocket in a specific direction. It is defined as the product of the mass and velocity of the rocket.

2. How is rocket momentum calculated?

Rocket momentum can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the rocket by its velocity. The momentum will be in the same direction as the velocity.

3. Why is rocket momentum important in space travel?

Rocket momentum is important in space travel because it helps determine the amount of force needed to propel a rocket to its desired destination. It also helps in calculating the amount of fuel required for the journey.

4. How do you calculate the change in rocket momentum?

The change in rocket momentum can be calculated by subtracting the initial momentum from the final momentum. This change in momentum can also be calculated by multiplying the force acting on the rocket by the time it is applied.

5. What factors affect rocket momentum?

The two main factors that affect rocket momentum are the mass and velocity of the rocket. The greater the mass and velocity, the greater the rocket's momentum will be. Other factors that can affect rocket momentum include external forces such as gravity, air resistance, and the direction of the rocket's thrust.