Calculating Net Force results in a final velocity

In summary: In support of what Berkeman said, what does the equation a = Fnet / m mean to you? You wrote it down as one of your relevant equations.The equation states that the speed (in meters per second) of a mass after a certain amount of time (in seconds) is equal to the net force (in Newtons) applied to it divided by the mass (in kilograms).
Diego Fernandez

Homework Statement

As simple as the question may seem, I require some honest help. I'm particularly new to physics.

The question is the following:
A net force of magnitude 4.0N acts on a body of mass 3.0kg for 6.0 s. The body is initially at rest.
Which of the following is the speed of the body after the 6.0s interval?

Homework Equations

a = Fnet / m
Fnet = m • a
1 Newton = 1 kg • m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I came across this question while browsing some IB tests online for High Level physics and decided to try to solve some of them. Looking at this one, I researched the equations necessary but can't find out how to calculate a net force using only force exerted, mass, and time. On the other hand, I can solve it with both mass and acceleration.
Any tips or equations I haven't found yet? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't the problem statement say that the net force is 4 N?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Doesn't the problem statement say that the net force is 4 N?

Chet

Sorry, it's asking for the speed of after 6 seconds.

Diego Fernandez said:

Homework Statement

As simple as the question may seem, I require some honest help. I'm particularly new to physics.

The question is the following:
A net force of magnitude 4.0N acts on a body of mass 3.0kg for 6.0 s. The body is initially at rest.
Which of the following is the speed of the body after the 6.0s interval?

Homework Equations

a = Fnet / m
Fnet = m • a
1 Newton = 1 kg • m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I came across this question while browsing some IB tests online for High Level physics and decided to try to solve some of them. Looking at this one, I researched the equations necessary but can't find out how to calculate a net force using only force exerted, mass, and time. On the other hand, I can solve it with both mass and acceleration.
Any tips or equations I haven't found yet? Thank you.

Diego Fernandez said:
Sorry, it's asking for the speed of after 6 seconds.

What is the equation of motion for constant acceleration that relates the velocity to the acceleration and the time? You didn't list it in your Relevant Equations...

So what's the acceleration?

Chestermiller said:
So what's the acceleration?
Honestly, I don't know. The question only offers me a time, mass, and exerted force.

berkeman said:
You didn't list it in your Relevant Equations...

Most likely because I don't know it.

Diego Fernandez said:
Honestly, I don't know. The question only offers me a time, mass, and exerted force.

Diego Fernandez said:
Most likely because I don't know it.

You are showing *very* little effort here. Write out the kinetic equations of motion for constant acceleration for us. That is the best starting point. And you already wrote the equation relating Force, Mass and Acceleration in your first post. So you do too know how to calculate the acceleration. You get these equations from your textbook (most likely your current chapter), and/or you can look them up at wikipedia or Hyperphysics.

In support of what Berkeman said, what does the equation

a = Fnet / m

mean to you? You wrote it down as one of your relevant equations.

Chet

1. How do you calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you need to add together all the individual forces acting on an object. This can be done by using vector addition, where you take into account the magnitude and direction of each force. The resulting sum is the net force.

2. What is the formula for calculating net force?

The formula for calculating net force is Fnet = ΣF, where Fnet is the net force and ΣF is the sum of all the individual forces acting on an object.

3. How do you calculate final velocity using net force?

To calculate final velocity using net force, you can use the formula vf = vi + at, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. You can also use the formula vf² = vi² + 2aΔx, where Δx is the displacement of the object.

4. What is the relationship between net force and final velocity?

The net force acting on an object determines its acceleration, and therefore its change in velocity. The greater the net force, the greater the acceleration and the faster the object's velocity will change.

5. Why is it important to calculate net force and final velocity?

Calculating net force and final velocity is important because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects. This is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, and can also have practical applications in everyday life, such as in the design of vehicles or structures.