Calculating potential from a nonuniform linear charge distribution.

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric potential at point P1, which is at a distance d from one end of a thin plastic rod with length L and a nonuniform linear charge density of λ = cx, where c = 28.9 pC/m^2. The equation used for integration is V = (kcx)/(x+d), where k is the Coulomb constant. The correct answer is 18.6 mV, but the incorrect answer of 156 Volts was obtained due to using a computer algebra system instead of manually solving the integral.
r0wbrt

Homework Statement

The thin plastic rod has length L, and a nonuniform linear charge density λ = cx. With V = 0 at infinity, find the electric potential (in V) at point P1 on the axis, at distance d from one end.
c = 28.9 pC/m^2
L = 12.0cm
d = 3.00 cm

Now, from what I can tell the left side of the rod is placed at the origin, and p1 is a distance of d from the left end.

Homework Equations

V = (kq)/r (potential of the point charge).

[itex]V = \int \frac{kcx}{x+d} dx [/itex].

k is the Coulomb constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I assumed using the above equation to integrate the potential over 0 to L would give the solution. However, when I checked the back of the book I was mistaken. Is it possible I missed something? I am treating cx dx as an point charge and summing over the potential each one produces at the point in question.

I get using the equation 156Volts while the book claims the answer to be 18.6mV.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is c C/m^2? It should be C/m.

Apart from this, I think your approach is correct. Without seeing how you integrated the thing, I can't say more.

Okay, yes disregard my question. I was using a computer algebra system (Microsoft Mathematics) to solve the integral. I tried it on my TI-84 Plus and I got .01863 Volts.

(This is what I get for being lazy).

1. How do I calculate the potential from a nonuniform linear charge distribution?

To calculate the potential from a nonuniform linear charge distribution, you can use the formula V = k ∫dq/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, dq is the small charge element, and r is the distance between the charge element and the point where you want to calculate the potential. You will need to integrate over the entire length of the distribution to get the total potential.

2. What is a nonuniform linear charge distribution?

A nonuniform linear charge distribution refers to a situation where the charge is not evenly distributed along a line. This means that different sections of the line have different amounts of charge, resulting in a nonuniform distribution.

3. What are the units of potential in this calculation?

The units of potential in this calculation are joules per coulomb (J/C) or volts (V). This represents the amount of work needed to move a unit of charge from one point to another in the electric field.

4. Can I use this formula for any type of charge distribution?

Yes, you can use this formula for any type of charge distribution as long as it is one-dimensional. For two-dimensional or three-dimensional distributions, you will need to modify the formula accordingly.

5. How does the potential change as the distance from the charge distribution increases?

The potential decreases as the distance from the charge distribution increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, resulting in a smaller potential at further distances. The potential also depends on the amount and distribution of charge along the line.