• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Calculating residue

• Thread starter eXorikos
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Calculate the residu for the singularity of [tex] \frac{z \sin{z}}{\left( z - \pi \right)^3} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]R \left( a_0 \right) = \frac{1}{2 \pi i} \oint \frac{z \sin{z}}{\left( z - \pi \right)^3} dz[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\pi [/tex] is an essential singularity so the residue cannot be calculated using the limit.
I have tried calculating the integral around the path from 3-i to 4-i to 4+i to 3+i to 3-i. In principle this should work, but Maple gives me a wrong answer if I try to evaluate.

[tex]\frac{1}{2 \pi i} \left( \int^4_3 \frac{\left( x - i \right) \sin{x - i}}{\left( x - i - \pi \right)^3} dx + \int^1_{-1} \frac{\left( 4 + iy \right) \sin{4 + iy}}{\left( 4 + iy - \pi \right)^3} dy + \int^3_4 \frac{\left( x + i \right) \sin{x + i}}{\left( x + i - \pi \right)^3} + \int^{-1}_1 \frac{\left( 3 + iy \right) \sin{3 + iy}}{\left( 3 + iy - \pi \right)^3} dy \right)[/tex]

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
How did you conclude that [itex]z=\pi[/itex] is an essential singularity?

I was wrong on that. Calculating the residue using the limit works fine, but my problem stands. The integral should give the same result.

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
You're missing a factor of i on the y integrals since dz = i dy.

It works fine thanks!

Is there a better choice that makes it easier to calculate the integral?

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Perhaps let x run from 0 to 2 pi to take advantage of the periodicity of sin z, but I'd try to avoid the contour integrals in the first place.