Calculating Vector Components: Finding B_y with A-B Parallel to -x Axis

In summary, the problem involves finding the y-component of vector B given the angles and magnitude of vector A and the fact that vector A-B is parallel to the negative x-axis. To solve this, it is important to understand the concept of a vector being parallel to an axis and how to subtract vectors. Drawing a picture or reviewing vector calculus may be helpful in solving this problem.
jamesbrewer

Homework Statement

The diagram below shows two vectors, A and B, and their angles relative to the coordinate axes as indicated.

[URL]http://loncapa.physics.mun.ca/res/mun/PHYSICS/msuphysicslib/Graphics/Gtype07/prob01a_vectors2.gif[/URL]

DATA: α=43.7°; β=53.4°; |A|=4.30 cm. The vector A−B is parallel to the −x axis. Calculate the y-component of vector B.

Homework Equations

[itex]A_x = |A| cos \theta, A_y = |A| sin \theta[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I easily found that [itex]A_x = 4.30 cm cos(43.7) = 3.10 cm[/itex] and [itex]A_y = 4.30 cm sin(43.7) = 2.97 cm[/itex].

The problem I'm having is figuring out how to calculate [itex]B_x[/itex] with only the information I have. If I had [itex]|B|[/itex] then I could easily solve for [itex]B_x[/itex]. The problem states that [itex]\vec{A-B} || -x-axis[/itex], but what role does this play in solving the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try drawing a picture. It can be very difficult to sort this sort of thing without a good reference.

The key to this problem is the statement that [itex]\vec{A} - \vec{B}[/itex] is // to the -x axis. What does it mean if a vector is parallel to an axis? Also, how do you subtract two vectors? If you can answer these two questions, you should be able to figure out By.

A vector being parallel to an axis can tell you something about it's direction. In this case, the vector is parallel to the -x axis. Is the fact that it's parallel to the negative x-axis (as opposed to the positive x axis) important here? If so then that means that [itex]\theta_{A-B} = 180 deg[/itex].

When you subtract a vector [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] from another vector [itex]\vec{B}[/itex], you are essentially adding the negative of [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] to [itex]\vec{A}[/itex].

So, from this I gather that [itex]\theta_{A-B} = 180 deg[/itex], but I'm still having trouble seeing how that helps me find [itex]B_y[/itex]. To find [itex]B_y[/itex], I need to find the magnitude of [itex]B[/itex], don't I?

A vector being parallel to an axis can tell you something about it's direction. In this case, the vector is parallel to the -x axis. Is the fact that it's parallel to the negative x-axis (as opposed to the positive x axis) important here? If so then that means that [itex]\theta_{A-B} = 180 deg[/itex].

When you subtract a vector [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] from another vector [itex]\vec{B}[/itex], you are essentially adding the negative of [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] to [itex]\vec{A}[/itex].

So, from this I gather that [itex]\theta_{A-B} = 180 deg[/itex], but I'm still having trouble seeing how that helps me find [itex]B_y[/itex]. To find [itex]B_y[/itex], I need to find the magnitude of [itex]B[/itex], don't I?

jamesbrewer said:

Technically, the positive x-axis and neg x-axis would both be parallel. The fact that the problem specifies the negative is suggestive, but I would ask the professor if I were you. There's a more important point here though, and it has to do with how you subtract vectors.

jamesbrewer said:

Remember that you have to perform algebraic operations on the components of vectors. [itex]\vec{A} - \vec{B}[/itex] is not the same as [itex]\vec{A-B}[/itex]. So, if [itex]\vec{A} - \vec{B}[/itex] is parallel to an axis, what does that tell you about the components? If your having a problem with this, I suggest drawing a picture or going over vector calculus (search the web, look to your textbooks or ask your professor).

1. What are vector components?

Vector components are the individual parts of a vector, usually represented as a horizontal and vertical component. They determine the magnitude and direction of the vector in a specific coordinate system.

2. How do you calculate vector components?

To calculate vector components, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. For a vector with a magnitude of r and an angle of θ with the x-axis, the horizontal component can be calculated as r cos(θ) and the vertical component as r sin(θ).

3. Can vector components be negative?

Yes, vector components can be negative. This indicates that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive component. For example, a vector with a positive horizontal component and a negative vertical component would point down and to the right.

4. What is the unit of measurement for vector components?

The unit of measurement for vector components depends on the unit of measurement for the vector itself. For example, if the vector represents displacement in meters, then the horizontal and vertical components would also be measured in meters.

5. Why is it important to calculate vector components?

Calculating vector components allows us to break down a vector into its different parts, making it easier to analyze and understand its properties. It also allows us to perform mathematical operations on vectors, such as adding or subtracting them, in a more systematic manner.