Calculating Work Done: A Secondary Two Homework Problem

In summary, Warp is a house-trained expert at providing no assistance unless you use the PF template. He responds to a question with an encouragement question, and tells the user that they are better confused and looking for understanding than certain and dead wrong.
warpedfart
hi! so I'm in secondary two, and so far in my syllabus we have covered up to work done. now this is my homework, and I'm not sure whether my answer is accurate, could you help me with this?

(I haven't learned the equations yet)

image.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Warp, and welcome to PF. Please use the template: we are house trained not to provide assistance unlees you use the template, for good reasons. See the guidelines.

In this case you get an encouragement question in return: suppose the train of cars pauses at the top for a night. The electricity is switched off. Where is the (electrical?) energy stored that gets converted into kinetic energy the next morning ?

The physics is a little more instantaneous: you want to describe the happening as a two-step process, where two conversions take place, one after the other.

BvU said:
Hello Warp, and welcome to PF. Please use the template: we are house trained not to provide assistance unlees you use the template, for good reasons. See the guidelines.

In this case you get an encouragement question in return: suppose the train of cars pauses at the top for a night. The electricity is switched off. Where is the (electrical?) energy stored that gets converted into kinetic energy the next morning ?

The physics is a little more instantaneous: you want to describe the happening as a two-step process, where two conversions take place, one after the other.

oh my god I'm sorry for not following the rules but thank you for the question. does that mean i have to describe the motor? i am really confused

In a way, yes. Not how it works internally, but what is does in a physics, mechanics sense: A motor converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It does work dragging the train up from a certain level to a higher level in a certain time.
Apparently there is some energy stored in height: if you drop a brick on a bottle you can crush it (and crushing requires energy). And a train at the top of the ramp can acquire kinetic energy from going down, whichever way it got at the top: if Popeye eats spinach and puts it there it will behave exactly the same as when the motor dragged it up there a millisecond or a day ago. So it's not spinach energy, nor electric energy once the train is at the top.

And it's good you feel confused. Better confused and looking for understanding one way or another than certain and dead wrong.

Thread locked because of inappropriate username choice...

berkeman said:
Thread locked because of inappropriate username choice...
:smile::smile:

berkeman,thread is not locked.?

Related to Calculating Work Done: A Secondary Two Homework Problem

1. What is work done?

Work done is a measure of the energy transferred when a force acts on an object and causes it to move in the direction of the force.

2. How is work done calculated?

Work done is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. The unit for work done is joules (J).

3. What is a motor and how does it work?

A motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It works by using an electric current to create a magnetic field, which interacts with the permanent magnets inside the motor to produce a rotational motion.

4. What are the main components of a motor?

The main components of a motor are a stator (stationary part), a rotor (rotating part), and a commutator (conducting segment that switches the direction of current flow). Motors also have brushes, which make contact with the commutator to transfer the electric current.

5. What factors affect the performance of a motor?

The performance of a motor can be affected by various factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the amount of current flowing through the motor, and the speed at which the motor is rotating. The design and quality of the motor's components also play a role in its performance.