Calculation of peak acoustic intensity (in water)

In summary, peak acoustic intensity is the maximum level of sound energy per unit area over a specific time period, measured in watts per square meter. It is calculated by squaring the peak pressure amplitude of the sound wave and dividing it by the characteristic impedance of the medium. The intensity can be affected by factors such as the source and distance of the sound, as well as the properties of the medium and any obstructions or reflections. It is important to measure and regulate the peak acoustic intensity in water to protect marine life, underwater structures, and the environment. This is done by organizations such as the IEC and NOAA, which set guidelines and standards for safe levels of acoustic intensity.
ireland01
If we know the max. pressure (p) is 2.5 MPa and T = 20 C.

Peak intensity, I = p^2 / rho * c

where rho = density of water: 0.9982E03 kg/m^3 and c = speed of sound in water: 1482.3 m/s at 20 C

I = (2.5E06 [Pa])^2 / 1.4796E06 [kg/m^2/s] = 4.2241E06 W/m^2

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the numbers you have specified, the correct substitution would be:

I = p^2 / rho * c
I = ((2.5 x 10^6)^2) / ((0.9982 x 10^3)*1482.3)
I = (6.25 x 10^12) / 1479631.86
I = 4224023.67 W/m^2

However, if you have rounded your final answer then your workings are fine.
Otherwise, it looks good to me!

Hope this helps.

1. What is peak acoustic intensity?

Peak acoustic intensity is the maximum level of sound energy that is delivered per unit area over a specific period of time. It is measured in watts per square meter (W/m²) and is an important parameter for understanding the strength of an acoustic wave.

2. How is peak acoustic intensity calculated?

The peak acoustic intensity can be calculated by taking the square of the peak pressure amplitude of the sound wave and dividing it by the characteristic impedance of the medium through which the sound wave is traveling. In the case of water, the characteristic impedance is approximately 1.48 x 10^6 kg/m²s. The resulting unit will be in watts per square meter (W/m²).

3. What factors affect the peak acoustic intensity in water?

The peak acoustic intensity in water can be affected by several factors such as the source of the sound, the distance from the source, and the properties of the medium itself. Other factors that can affect the intensity include the frequency and duration of the sound wave, as well as any obstructions or reflections in the water.

4. Why is the peak acoustic intensity important to measure in water?

The peak acoustic intensity is an important parameter to measure in water because it can have significant effects on marine life, underwater structures, and the environment. In addition, understanding the intensity can also help in the design and safety assessment of underwater devices and equipment.

5. How is the peak acoustic intensity in water regulated?

The peak acoustic intensity in water is regulated by various organizations and agencies such as the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). These organizations set guidelines and standards for safe levels of acoustic intensity to protect marine life and minimize potential harm to the environment.