Calculation of peak acoustic intensity (in water)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ireland01
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
If we know the max. pressure (p) is 2.5 MPa and T = 20 C.

Peak intensity, I = p^2 / rho * c

where rho = density of water: 0.9982E03 kg/m^3 and c = speed of sound in water: 1482.3 m/s at 20 C

I = (2.5E06 [Pa])^2 / 1.4796E06 [kg/m^2/s] = 4.2241E06 W/m^2

Is this correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Using the numbers you have specified, the correct substitution would be:

I = p^2 / rho * c
I = ((2.5 x 10^6)^2) / ((0.9982 x 10^3)*1482.3)
I = (6.25 x 10^12) / 1479631.86
I = 4224023.67 W/m^2

However, if you have rounded your final answer then your workings are fine.
Otherwise, it looks good to me!

Hope this helps.