Calculation of Workdone and Energy Answer for First and Second Question

• Thread starter icystrike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the incorrect answers given in two questions related to calculating energy and work done. The wrong answer D in both questions is due to the mistaken belief that work must be done against the force of gravity. The wording of the questions is also criticized for being unclear and inadequate.
icystrike
Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 1.46.45 AM.png

Answer stated is D

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 1.46.28 AM.png

Answer stated is D
My attempt at the solution:

For the first question,
the calculations are as follow:

A. P=I2R = 42×12 = 192 J/s -- Missing information
B. Energy = 1/2 mv2 = 15×9= 135J
C. Energy = mgh = 10×10×1 = 100J
D. Work done = 0J ; moving against zero friction.

My answer will therefore B for the first question.

For the second question,
Work done = Ffric × d = 70N×4m = 280J

The information with regards to the mass of the object is irrelevant since the friction coefficient is not stated and the frictional force has been stated in the problem.

My answer is A for the second question.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like your answers. It appears that the wrong answer D in each case arises from the mistaken view that work must be done against the force of gravity and that this work is equal to the weight times the distance moved (even though the weight force is perpendicular to the displacement).

The wording of the questions is not very good. In option D for #14 and in #25, there is no information about whether or not the speed of the object remains constant . In #25 the phrase "energy exerted" is a bit odd. We don't normally think of "exerting" energy.

Likes icystrike
TSny said:
I like your answers. It appears that the wrong answer D in each case arises from the mistaken view that work must be done against the force of gravity and that this work is equal to the weight times the distance moved (even though the weight force is perpendicular to the displacement).

The wording of the questions is not very good. In option D for #14 and in #25, there is no information about whether or not the speed of the object remains constant . In #25 the phrase "energy exerted" is a bit odd. We don't normally think of "exerting" energy.

Thanks for your prompt reply and assurance that my conceptual knowledge is not at risk. May also I get you to acknowledge if the information provided for #14 (A) is incomplete to deduce the energy consumed.

You are completely right. You would also need to be given a time period in order to get energy in #14 (A).

Likes icystrike
I agree. As written the answers are B and A. Very badly worded questions.

Related to Calculation of Workdone and Energy Answer for First and Second Question

What is work and how is it calculated?

Work is defined as the product of force and displacement, in the direction of the force. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance moved in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = F*d, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, and d is the displacement.

What factors affect the amount of work done?

The two main factors that affect the amount of work done are the magnitude of the force applied and the distance over which the force is applied. Other factors that can affect work include the angle between the force and displacement vectors, the presence of friction, and the time over which the force is applied.

What is the difference between work and energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts, but they are not the same. Work is the transfer of energy from one form to another, while energy is the ability to do work. Work is a scalar quantity, while energy is a vector quantity. Additionally, work is dependent on the force and displacement, while energy is dependent on the physical properties of an object.

How is work related to power?

Power is the rate at which work is done, or the amount of work done per unit time. The formula for power is P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time. This means that the more work that is done in a given amount of time, the higher the power. In other words, power is a measure of how quickly work is being done.

How is the calculation of work and energy used in real life?

The calculation of work and energy is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and mechanics. It is used to analyze the performance of machines and systems, as well as to determine the efficiency of processes. It is also used in everyday life, such as calculating the energy required to lift an object or the work done by a person while exercising.