Can an analytical solution for PRKE be found with ramp reactivity ?

In summary, the author is trying to find an analytical solution to the 0-D PRKE transient problem. He is using two methods: 1) using MATLAB's inbuilt ode23s solver and 2) a custom written adaptive solver. His problem is that he wants to find the order of accuracy or maybe even just the exact error in his adaptive method in comparison to the actual true solution. Without the exact analytical solution, he would have to assume that the solution from MATLAB is exact and compute the error. However, he is reluctant to do that because he wants to test few embedded numerical methods with higher orders of accuracy than matlab's 2-3 method. He has derived the analytical solution for PRKE with a step
unknownreference
Hi there,

Before i state what my actual question is, let me give some background on some work i have done on this. I have been trying to solve the 0-D PRKE transient problem for a step and a ramp input numerically using couple of high precision methods.

1) Using MATLAB's inbuilt ode23s solver.
2) Using a custom written adaptive solver

My problem is that i want to find the order of accuracy or maybe even just the exact error in my adaptive method in comparison to the actual true solution. Without the exact analytical solution, i would have to assume that the solution from MATLAB is exact and compute the error. But i am reluctant to do that because i want to test few embedded numerical methods with higher orders of accuracy than matlab's 2-3 method.

So now, i did derive the analytical solution for PRKE with a step input (constant reactivity) and tested my method with the solution i computed analytically. It perfectly matches !

But when the reactivity is a function of time (Ramp or say parabolic change), i end up with an integro-differential form which does require approximating the integral numerically, which in turn will introduce truncation errors in the calculation. Now is there any way to get around this ? OR have i completely missed out some other alternative ?

I would appreciate any and all help that someone can provide. Thanks in advance !

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please provide the differential equation for the PK model.

Astronuc said:
Please provide the differential equation for the PK model.

Please see my attached document file for the equations and for the question in more detail. Please let me know if something is confusing !

Attachments

• PRKE Analytical solution.doc
    41 KB · Views: 363
I think an analytical solution might be possible, and could be found using Laplace transforms.

For a ramp, [itex]\rho(t)\,=\,\rho_o\,+\,\gamma\,t[/itex], but [itex]\rho_o[/itex] could be zero.

The problem in the attachment shows one precursor (or an effective precursor) concentration. Is this correct?

Numerically, one can use the Runge-Kutta method for solving first order differential equations.

Interesting paper - "The reactor point-kinetics equations: semi-analytical methods versus numerical methods"
http://sab.sscc.ru/imacs2005/papers/T2-I-72-0937.pdf
See bottom of page 4 for discussion of Runge-Kutta method.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes. I have shown only one precursor group in the document because i just wanted to simplify the system. For the analytical solution though, i do not think it makes any difference but just couple more equations to solve to obtain the coefficients.

I have been trying to use Laplace transforms for the PRKE but since my math with transforms is a bit rusty, it is taking me a while. But it is good to know that i am going in the right direction !

And thanks for the great reference document. I am sure it will help me out further in my current research.

I will try to derive the analytical solution and if not, i might have to go with the numerical solution with a very high accurate numerical scheme. I will let you know what i stumble onto along the way and post some interesting observations when i have my result.

Thanks again !

1. Can an analytical solution for PRKE be found?

Yes, an analytical solution for PRKE (Point Reactor Kinetics Equations) can be found. PRKE is a set of differential equations that describe the time evolution of the neutron population in a nuclear reactor. Finding an analytical solution means deriving a mathematical formula that fully describes the behavior of the reactor without the need for numerical simulations.

2. What is ramp reactivity?

Ramp reactivity refers to a gradual increase or decrease in the reactivity of a nuclear reactor. Reactivity is a measure of the degree to which the reactor is changing its power output. A ramp reactivity situation occurs when the reactor's power level is gradually changed, rather than being kept constant.

3. Why is it important to find an analytical solution for PRKE with ramp reactivity?

Finding an analytical solution for PRKE with ramp reactivity is important because it allows for a better understanding of the behavior of nuclear reactors under different operating conditions. It also enables us to make more accurate predictions and control the reactor's power output more effectively.

4. What are the challenges in finding an analytical solution for PRKE with ramp reactivity?

One of the main challenges in finding an analytical solution for PRKE with ramp reactivity is the complexity of the equations involved. The PRKE equations are nonlinear and coupled, meaning that changes in one variable affect the others. This makes it difficult to find a closed-form solution. Additionally, ramp reactivity introduces time-dependent changes, adding further complexity to the equations.

5. Are there any existing analytical solutions for PRKE with ramp reactivity?

Yes, there are some existing analytical solutions for PRKE with ramp reactivity, but they are limited to specific simplified cases. For more complex scenarios, numerical methods are often used to approximate the solution. However, research is ongoing to develop more general analytical solutions that can accurately describe the behavior of reactors with ramp reactivity.