Can anyone check my answers for these equilibrium problems?

In summary, equilibrium in a scientific context refers to a state of balance where opposing forces or processes are equal. It is important to check answers in equilibrium problems to ensure accuracy and identify any errors. Methods for checking answers include plugging values into equations, using different approaches, or comparing with known values. Common mistakes to watch out for include incorrect units, algebraic errors, and not considering all relevant factors. Anyone can check your answers for equilibrium problems, and seeking help from a tutor or peer can be beneficial.
Sunwoo Bae
Homework Statement
2.A solution is prepared by mixing 175.0mL of a 1.5 M hydrochloric acid and 55.0 mL of a 3,0 M nitric acid. Water is then added until the final volume is 1.50L. Calculate the [OH-] and the pH of the final solution.
Show all calculations in detail.

3. For the following chemical reaction equilibrium constant (Kc) is 16 at 990C.
CO2(g) + H2(g) --> H2O(g) + CO(g)

After the mixing of 1.00 mol of H2, 1.00 mol of CO2, 0.750 mol of H2O, and 0.750 mol of CO in 5.00L container at 990 C, calculate the concentrations of each component when the equilibrium is reached.
Show all calculations in detail.
Relevant Equations
ICE setup

pH + pOH = 14
pH = -log(H+)
pOH = -log(OH-)
The following are my works for the problems:
I put squares on my final answers!
1597769934518.png

1597769961792.png

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I definitely agree with your answer to (3); I also agree with your method for (2), though I suspect there might have been a numerical error. Specifically, shouldn't it be ##x + y = 0.4275 \text{ mol}##? It could be that you entered ##y = 0.65 \text{ mol}## into your calculator instead of ##y = 0.165 \text{ mol}##

Likes Sunwoo Bae
Also, when calculating the concentration, you should divide by 1.5 L, not 1 L.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state in which opposing forces or processes are balanced, resulting in a stable system.

2. How do you solve equilibrium problems?

To solve equilibrium problems, you need to set up and solve a system of equations based on the given information and the equilibrium constant expression. This involves understanding the concept of equilibrium, identifying the relevant equations, and using algebraic techniques to solve for the unknown variables.

3. Can you explain the difference between dynamic and static equilibrium?

Dynamic equilibrium occurs when the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction, resulting in no net change in the concentrations of reactants and products over time. Static equilibrium, on the other hand, occurs when there is no movement or change in a system, such as when all reactants have been converted to products.

4. What factors can affect equilibrium?

Several factors can affect equilibrium, including temperature, pressure, and the concentrations of reactants and products. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium position and alter the concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium.

5. How do you know if a system is at equilibrium?

A system is at equilibrium when the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant over time. This can be determined by measuring the concentrations of reactants and products at different times and observing if they remain the same. Additionally, the forward and reverse reactions must be occurring at the same rate for a system to be at equilibrium.