Can anyone explain the order of these signs please?

• Thread starter Waverley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the conversation discusses creating two loop equations and understanding the order of signs in KCL and KVL. The solution involves using simultaneous equations and a helpful resource is suggested for further understanding.
Waverley
KCL DIAGRAM.JPG

KCL.JPG

Homework Statement

Create two loop equations.

Homework Equations

I3=I1+I2

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is given but I do not understand why the signs are ordered as they are.

I understand that in KCL the sum of the currents flowing towards the junction are equal to the sum of the currents moving away.

I also understand that in KVL the sum of the voltage drops is equal to zero.

The example combines these two methods and then goes on to solve by simultaneous equations which I can follow ok.

My problem is with the initial order of the signs (highlighted in yellow). Can anyone explain these please?
My textbooks and examples online seem to approach it slightly differently and I just can't figure it out.
I'm going round and round with it, getting nowhere.
I've just added the images to the post as I see they are difficult to deal with the other way.

Last edited:
Likes the student
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks so much for that, it's an excellent piece on the subject. Great resource, thanks again!

Related to Can anyone explain the order of these signs please?

What are the signs in this order?

The signs in this order are likely referring to a specific set or sequence of symbols, such as mathematical or scientific symbols, traffic signs, or astrological zodiac signs. Without more context, it is impossible to accurately explain the order of these signs.

What is the significance of the order of these signs?

The significance of the order of these signs will depend on the specific set or sequence they are referring to. Some may have a specific meaning or purpose behind their order, while others may simply be arranged alphabetically or numerically.

Why is it important to understand the order of these signs?

Understanding the order of these signs can be important for various reasons. For example, in mathematics or science, the order of symbols can greatly affect the meaning or outcome of a formula or equation. In traffic, understanding the order of signs can help drivers follow the correct rules and stay safe.

How can I learn more about the order of these signs?

If you are interested in learning more about the order of these signs, you can start by researching the specific set or sequence they are referring to. You can also consult educational resources, such as books or online tutorials, or reach out to experts in the field for further explanation.

Can the order of these signs change?

Yes, the order of these signs can change depending on the context or purpose. For example, in mathematics, the order of symbols can change in a different formula or equation. In traffic, the order of signs can change to accommodate different road conditions or regulations.