Can I show my solution? Linear Algebra

In summary: S = { t^3 - t + 1; t^3 + 2} , V = P(sub3)Again, these are linearly independent by verification. I used the natural basis { t^3, t^2, t, 1}.And then, since the dimension is 4, here's my answer. T = {t^3 -t +1; t^3 + 2; t^3; t^2}
franz32
Here's the question.

A theorem says that any linearly independent subset S of vector space V can be extended to a basis for V.

1. S = {(1, 1, 0, 0) ; (1, 0, 1, 0)}, V = R^4.

In this part, the two vectors are linearly independent by verification. Then making a basis T with dimension of 4. I arrived at an answer of

T = { (1, 1, 0, 0) ; (1, 0, 1, 0); (1, 0, 0, 0); (0, 0, 0,1)}
Am I correct?

2. S = { t^3 - t + 1; t^3 + 2} , V = P(sub3)

Again, these are linearly independent by verification.
I used the natural basis { t^3, t^2, t, 1}.

And then, since the dimension is 4, here's my answer.

T = {t^3 -t +1; t^3 + 2; t^3; t^2}

But my book has a different answer...
instead of t^3 and t^2, it was t and 1 respectively. Are both
of these correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
1 You should be able to check your answer yourself. Any set of 4 vectors is a basis for R4 if and only if they are linearly independent. Are (1, 1, 0, 0) ; (1, 0, 1, 0); (1, 0, 0, 0); (0, 0, 0,1) linearly independent? If a(1, 1, 0, 0)+ b(1, 0, 1, 0)+ c(1, 0, 0, 0)+ d(0, 0, 0,1)= (0, 0, 0, 0) what are a, b, c, and d?

2 It's alright that your book has a different answer. Given a set of independent vectors smaller than a basis, there exist an infinite number of bases containing that set.

Again, if a(t^3 -t +1)+ b(t^3 + 2)+ c(t^3)+ d(t^2)= 0 (for all t) what are a, b, c, and d?

Hello again sir.

Sir,

so you are implying that if the scalars a, b, c, d are all zeros, then my answer for the basis is correct?

No, it needs to be a non-trivial solution.

So, to be nontrivial is to have at least a scalar not equal to 0 right?

I hope you don't mind helping me here... in my questions.

1. S = {(1, 1, 0, 0) ; (1, 0, 1, 0)}, V = R^4.

In this part, the two vectors are linearly independent by verification. Then making a basis T with dimension of 4. I arrived at an answer of

T = { (1, 1, 0, 0) ; (1, 0, 1, 0); (1, 0, 0, 0); (0, 0, 0,1)}
According to our professor, I must include some of the natural basis from left to right. But how am I going to show that my basis T has a nontrivial solution? ANd as well as in 2.

1. Can you explain what linear algebra is?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of linear transformations, matrices, and systems of linear equations.

2. Why is linear algebra important in science?

Linear algebra is important in science because it provides a powerful framework for understanding and solving problems involving linear relationships. It is used extensively in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics.

3. How is linear algebra used in data analysis?

Linear algebra is used in data analysis to transform and manipulate data in order to extract meaningful information. It is used to model relationships between variables, perform dimensionality reduction, and solve optimization problems.

4. What are some real-world applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has many real-world applications, some of which include: image and signal processing, computer graphics, machine learning, economics and finance, and electrical circuits.

5. Do I need to have a strong mathematical background to learn linear algebra?

While a strong mathematical background can be helpful, it is not necessary to learn linear algebra. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn the fundamental concepts and techniques of linear algebra.