1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I show my solution? Linear Algebra

1. Feb 18, 2004 #1
    Here's the question.

A theorem says that any linearly independent subset S of vector space V can be extended to a basis for V.

1. S = {(1, 1, 0, 0) ; (1, 0, 1, 0)}, V = R^4.

In this part, the two vectors are linearly independent by verification. Then making a basis T with dimension of 4. I arrived at an answer of

T = { (1, 1, 0, 0) ; (1, 0, 1, 0); (1, 0, 0, 0); (0, 0, 0,1)}
    Am I correct?

2. S = { t^3 - t + 1; t^3 + 2} , V = P(sub3)

Again, these are linearly independent by verification.
    I used the natural basis { t^3, t^2, t, 1}.

And then, since the dimension is 4, here's my answer.

T = {t^3 -t +1; t^3 + 2; t^3; t^2}

But my book has a different answer....
    instead of t^3 and t^2, it was t and 1 respectively. Are both
    of these correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

1 You should be able to check your answer yourself. Any set of 4 vectors is a basis for R4 if and only if they are linearly independent. Are (1, 1, 0, 0) ; (1, 0, 1, 0); (1, 0, 0, 0); (0, 0, 0,1) linearly independent? If a(1, 1, 0, 0)+ b(1, 0, 1, 0)+ c(1, 0, 0, 0)+ d(0, 0, 0,1)= (0, 0, 0, 0) what are a, b, c, and d?

2 It's alright that your book has a different answer. Given a set of independent vectors smaller than a basis, there exist an infinite number of bases containing that set.

Again, if a(t^3 -t +1)+ b(t^3 + 2)+ c(t^3)+ d(t^2)= 0 (for all t) what are a, b, c, and d?

4. Feb 18, 2004 #3
    Hello again sir.

Sir,

so you are implying that if the scalars a, b, c, d are all zeros, then my answer for the basis is correct?

5. Feb 18, 2004 #4

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it needs to be a non-trivial solution.

6. Feb 19, 2004 #5

So, to be nontrivial is to have at least a scalar not equal to 0 right?

I hope you don't mind helping me here... in my questions.

1. S = {(1, 1, 0, 0) ; (1, 0, 1, 0)}, V = R^4.

In this part, the two vectors are linearly independent by verification. Then making a basis T with dimension of 4. I arrived at an answer of

T = { (1, 1, 0, 0) ; (1, 0, 1, 0); (1, 0, 0, 0); (0, 0, 0,1)}
    According to our professor, I must include some of the natural basis from left to right. But how am I going to show that my basis T has a nontrivial solution? ANd as well as in 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?