Can proper time be calculated for varying velocity along a worldline?

In summary: thanks!yes, i know what those words mean. and i am familiar with calculus.thanks!yes, i know what those words mean. and i am familiar with calculus.
ehasan
Ideal clocks are taken from event A to event B along various worldlines. then that the longest proper time for the trip is indicated by that clock whcih follows the straight worldline. How it can be showed. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi ehasan! welcome to pf! :wink:

tell us what you think, and then we'll comment! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi ehasan! welcome to pf! :wink:

tell us what you think, and then we'll comment! :smile:

thanks... actually i am novice to SR.
well ...I think straight worldline in space-time diagram represents linear motion with constant speed. and moving clocks run slow. but what happen when clocks are taken from event 1 to event 2 in a fashion that make curveved worldline? i.e. when clocks move with some acceleration.
thanks a lot

ehasan said:
...I think straight worldline in space-time diagram represents linear motion with constant speed. and moving clocks run slow

that's right :smile:
… but what happen when clocks are taken from event 1 to event 2 in a fashion that make curveved worldline? i.e. when clocks move with some acceleration.

yes, that's what you're supposed to work out …

how would you calculate the proper time along a world-line (t, x(t)) where dx/dt isn't constant? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
that's right :smile:

yes, that's what you're supposed to work out …

how would you calculate the proper time along a world-line (t, x(t)) where dx/dt isn't constant? :wink:

I am sorry but could u please explain your point in a bit more detail. I couldn't get your point completely. :confused:
thanks

what don't you understand? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
what don't you understand? :confused:

I couldn't get the sense of this sentence.
[ how would you calculate the proper time along a world-line (t, x(t)) where dx/dt isn't constant? ]

ehasan said:
[ how would you calculate the proper time along a world-line (t, x(t)) where dx/dt isn't constant? ]

but that's the original question!

if a body is at position x(t) at each time t, with of course velocity v = dx/dt, what is the proper time τ(t) at each time t?

ehasan said:
you used the words "proper time" and "worldline" in your posts so you seem to know what those mean, (t, x(t)) is just a way of defining the coordinates of a worldline in some inertial frame (at any given t, x(t) is some function that tells you the x-coordinate of the object at that time), and dx/dt is just the velocity at any given t coordinate (the derivative of x(t)). How familiar are you with calculus?

Last edited:

Related to Can proper time be calculated for varying velocity along a worldline?

What is SR time dilation?

SR time dilation, or special relativity time dilation, is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an observer moving at high speeds compared to an observer at rest. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

What causes SR time dilation?

SR time dilation is caused by the constant speed of light and the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics must be the same for all observers in uniform motion. When an object is moving at high speeds, its time appears to pass slower relative to an observer at rest, resulting in time dilation.

How is SR time dilation calculated?

The equation for calculating SR time dilation is t' = t * √(1 - v^2/c^2), where t' is the dilated time, t is the time in the stationary reference frame, v is the relative velocity between the two frames, and c is the speed of light. This equation is derived from the Lorentz transformation, which is a mathematical formula used to describe the effects of special relativity.

What are the real-life applications of SR time dilation?

SR time dilation has several real-life applications, including in the fields of particle physics, GPS technology, and nuclear energy. In particle accelerators, time dilation allows scientists to study particles moving at high speeds. GPS technology also takes into account time dilation to ensure accurate location tracking. In nuclear energy, time dilation plays a crucial role in the stability of nuclear reactors.

Does SR time dilation have any limits?

According to special relativity, there is no limit to how much time can be dilated. However, an object's speed cannot exceed the speed of light, which is the fastest speed possible. As an object approaches the speed of light, its time dilation becomes infinitely large, but it can never actually reach or exceed the speed of light. This is known as the limit of infinite time dilation.