Can we apply L'Hopital rule to 4/0 form?

In summary, L'Hopital's rule cannot be applied to the form 4/0 and it is considered an indeterminate form in calculus. The correct answer for the limit is \infty, which is one of the seven indeterminate forms in calculus. It is important to note that these are different from indefinite forms and there are conventions for naming them. The thread shared provides more information for those interested in learning more.
jack1234
1) Can we apply L'Hopital rule to the 4/0 form?
eg
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{x+4}{x^2}[/tex]
[tex]=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{2x}[/tex]
[tex]=0[/tex]

2) we know that 0/0 is indefinite form, but is 4/0 indefinite form?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you mean to give

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{x+4}{x^2}[/tex]

as an exemple? (click the equation to see the code I used to write it)

Anyway, no when the numerator goes to something finite but the denominator goes to 0, we write that the limit is [itex]\infty[/itex].

There are seven indeterminate forms, and they are listed here:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Indeterminate.html
(scroll down a little bit)

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. Thanks for helping me for the Latex, I am still looking for a manual for it.

For my question, am I right that the answer for both question is
1)No, the answer is [itex]\infty[/itex]
2)No
according to my understanding on your comment?

Last edited:
Hi, I have a question here

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=126284
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 2} (\frac{|x-3|-|3x-5|}{x^2-5x+6}) [/tex]

So, it is -10/0 form,
is the answer [itex]\infty[/itex] again? Although I think it is not, as I use a the computer to graph it, it is 4.

How do we determine the answer is [itex]\infty[/itex]?

Last edited:
Put x=2 into that expression and what do you get? not -10/0, that is for sure.

If you ever by naive substitution get a/0 where a is not zero then the limit is undefined (in the reals) or infinity for short hand. But you are not in that situation here.

However, around x=2, x-3 is negative and 3x-5 is positive, so near to 2 the expression is the same as (3-x -3x +5)/(x^2-5x+6), and you can simplify that expression by simple algebra.

Don't forget whenever youi hve absolute value signs in that you can (and should) split things up into regions where the expressions inside the abs value signs are positive or negative.

Thanks, I have really calculated it wrongly.

1. Can we apply L'Hopital rule to 4/0 form?

No, L'Hopital rule cannot be applied to the 4/0 form. This is because the rule requires the denominator to approach zero, not be equal to zero.

2. Why can't L'Hopital rule be applied to 4/0 form?

L'Hopital rule is based on the concept of limits, and the limit of 4/0 does not exist. Therefore, the rule cannot be applied to this form.

3. Is there an alternative method to solve 4/0 form?

Yes, there are other methods to solve the 4/0 form, such as using the concept of indeterminate forms or using the properties of limits.

4. Can L'Hopital rule be applied to any form?

No, L'Hopital rule can only be applied to certain forms, such as the 0/0 or infinity/infinity forms. It cannot be applied to forms where the limit does not exist.

5. How can we determine if L'Hopital rule can be applied to a form?

In order to apply L'Hopital rule, we need to check if the form is an indeterminate form, which means both the numerator and denominator approach a specific value. If the numerator and denominator do not approach a specific value, the rule cannot be applied.