Can you anyone help me to set up a ice chart for this one?

• Thread starter Nope
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice Set
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of initial concentration of two bases, LiOH and HCN, given their respective pH values. The use of ICE charts and the Brønsted-Lowry base concept are also mentioned. However, for LiOH, it is not possible to use an ICE chart as it is a strong base with 100% dissociation. The notation used to represent the species in the solution is also discussed.
Nope

Homework Statement

if the pH is 9.72 for the following 2 bases. what is the initial conc. of the bases
a)LiOH
b)HCN
the answer for a is 10^-4.28, but i don't know how to set up an ice chart

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
For a), you don't need an ICE chart. You need pH=-log[H+] and [H+][OH-] = 10-14

chemisttree said:
For a), you don't need an ICE chart. You need pH=-log[H+] and [H+][OH-] = 10-14

Yes, but I still want to know what the ice chart like,
and for b, can you help me to set the ice chart, because HCN is weird
H3O+ + CN- <--> H2O + HCN
is this right ?
thanks!

CN- + H2O <-> HCN + OH-

Nothing weird, this is Brønsted-Lowry base.

Note: in the case of bases you have to calculate concentration of OH-, then to convert it to pH.

ICE tables are built exactly the same way as for acids, just OH- is the product (concentration of water in the case of cyanide is assumed to be not changing and ignored). You will be not able to solve LiOH with ICE table, as LiOH is considered to be a strong base, 100% dissociated, so final concentration of LiOH will be 0 - and you can't divide by zero.

--

but,when i wrote out the the species
HCN(aq)
SA_____A
H30+ , H2O , CN-
_______B___ SB
Isn't the SA react with SB?
H3O+ + CN-?

Nope said:
HCN(aq)
SA_____A
H30+ , H2O , CN-
_______B___ SB

I am not familiar with this notation, please elaborate.

H3O+ + CN-?

These would react IF there would be enough H+ (H3O+). Concentration of water is much much larger, especially if you start with neutral solution.

--
methods

Related to Can you anyone help me to set up a ice chart for this one?

1. What is an ice chart?

An ice chart is a visual representation of the extent and concentration of sea ice in a specific area. It is typically used by mariners and scientists to navigate through icy waters and study the patterns of sea ice.

2. How do I set up an ice chart?

To set up an ice chart, you will need to gather data on the extent and concentration of sea ice in the area of interest. This data can be obtained from satellite imagery, remote sensing buoys, or on-site observations. Once you have collected the data, you can plot it on a map or use specialized software to create a digital ice chart.

3. What factors should I consider when creating an ice chart?

When creating an ice chart, you should consider the time of year, weather conditions, and the type of ice present in the area. These factors can affect the accuracy and reliability of the ice chart and should be taken into account when interpreting the data.

4. How can an ice chart be used?

An ice chart can be used for various purposes, such as navigation, weather forecasting, and scientific research. It can also be used to monitor changes in sea ice over time and assess the impact of climate change on polar regions.

5. Can I customize an ice chart for my specific needs?

Yes, you can customize an ice chart to suit your specific needs. This can include selecting a certain time period, zooming in on a specific area, or adding additional data layers such as ocean currents or ship traffic. There are also various software tools available that allow for customization of ice charts.