Safe Parking on Icy Days: Calculating Friction

• Thread starter bpw91284
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, in this conversation, the question is asked about which driveway(s) will be safe to park in on an icy day. The incline of the driveways and the coefficient of static friction are given, and the equation for force of friction is used to determine the angle at which the forces will cancel out. After solving for the angle, it is found that both Ralph's and Bonnie's driveways will be safe to park in.
bpw91284

Homework Statement

On an icy day, you worry about parking your car in your driveway, which has an incline of 13°. Your neighbor Ralph’s
driveway has an incline of 8°, and Bonnie’s driveway across the street has one of 5°. The coefficient of static friction
between tire rubber and ice is 0.15. Which driveway(s) will be safe to park in?

Homework Equations

Force of friction=F*u

The Attempt at a Solution

How can we know 'F' without knowning the mass of car?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just let mass=m, and leave it in the equations. When comparing the components of the forces in the horizontal direction, the masses will cancel.

Here is what I just did...

Sum of Forces in horz direction,
F_f*cos@-F_n*cos(90-@)=0
Since F_f=u*F_n
0=0.15*F_n*cos@-F_n*cos(90-@)
Divide by F_n, solve for @ to be 8.6 degrees. So both Ralph's and Bonnie's driveways will be ok?

1. How do I calculate the amount of friction on icy roads?

Friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (a measure of the roughness between two surfaces) by the normal force (the force exerted by an object on a surface). The resulting value is the amount of friction between the two surfaces.

2. What factors affect the friction on icy roads?

The main factors that affect friction on icy roads are the temperature, the type and condition of the road surface, and the type of vehicle tires. Lower temperatures reduce the effectiveness of salt and other de-icing agents, while rougher and more worn road surfaces provide less traction. Additionally, vehicles with bald or worn tires will have less grip on the road.

3. How can I increase the amount of friction on my vehicle's tires?

One way to increase friction on your vehicle's tires is to make sure they are properly inflated. Underinflated tires have less surface area in contact with the road, reducing friction. Using snow or winter tires can also increase traction on icy roads. Additionally, driving at slower speeds and avoiding sudden movements can help maintain control and increase friction.

4. Can I rely on my anti-lock braking system (ABS) to prevent my vehicle from sliding on icy roads?

While ABS can help prevent your vehicle's wheels from locking up and skidding, it does not increase friction or improve traction on icy roads. It is still important to drive cautiously and maintain a safe distance from other vehicles to avoid accidents.

5. How can I determine if it is safe to park my car on an icy road?

Before parking on an icy road, it is important to assess the road conditions and the angle and slope of the parking spot. If the road is very icy and the spot is on a steep slope, it may not be safe to park there. Additionally, make sure your vehicle's tires are equipped for winter driving and avoid parking on hills or inclines if possible.