1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career advice -- What can I do with a master's in theoretical physics and a bachelor of comp. sci?

1. Aug 8, 2017 #1
    Hi everyone,
    What can I do with a master's in theoretical physics and a bachelor of computer science ? I am in Canada, I had to do a master's before a PhD. I just decided to do something else than physics afterwards. I had the opportunity to do a PhD in computer science, in medical imaging, but I didn't want to become a researcher in this field, and I was worried about my perspectives of employment... I will do an internship, programming GPU's with CUDA, which I'm very excited about. However most of the jobs related to HPC are in the USA. I would go without hesitation working there but since I do not have a PhD i feel that my chances are weak... What do you people think ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

One field that is hot right now is Data Science. Your coursework would probably fit well into that space. You might need more statistics and perhaps numerical /machine learning experience.

4. Aug 8, 2017 #3
    I know that Data science and ML are really trendy theses days. I read this book "Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning" by C. Bishop in a graduate level ML course I took recently. However I do not have any "real-life" experience which is a big drawback ...

5. Aug 8, 2017 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

It's trendy but it's not rocket science, you should be able to pick it up fairly fast. I know some people who have taken Data Science seminars and gotten jobs once they understood the terminology. They already had the math background and computer skills to do it.

Here's a dated IBM Redbook of Data Mining published in 2007 that is still somewhat relevant at least for the concepts and terminology:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247418.html?Open

and at Coursera:

https://www.coursera.org/browse/data-science?languages=en

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted