Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career advice -- What can I do with a master's in theoretical physics and a bachelor of comp. sci?

1. Aug 8, 2017 #1
    Hi everyone,
    What can I do with a master's in theoretical physics and a bachelor of computer science ? I am in Canada, I had to do a master's before a PhD. I just decided to do something else than physics afterwards. I had the opportunity to do a PhD in computer science, in medical imaging, but I didn't want to become a researcher in this field, and I was worried about my perspectives of employment... I will do an internship, programming GPU's with CUDA, which I'm very excited about. However most of the jobs related to HPC are in the USA. I would go without hesitation working there but since I do not have a PhD i feel that my chances are weak... What do you people think ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

One field that is hot right now is Data Science. Your coursework would probably fit well into that space. You might need more statistics and perhaps numerical /machine learning experience.

4. Aug 8, 2017 #3
    I know that Data science and ML are really trendy theses days. I read this book "Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning" by C. Bishop in a graduate level ML course I took recently. However I do not have any "real-life" experience which is a big drawback ...

5. Aug 8, 2017 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

It's trendy but it's not rocket science, you should be able to pick it up fairly fast. I know some people who have taken Data Science seminars and gotten jobs once they understood the terminology. They already had the math background and computer skills to do it.

Here's a dated IBM Redbook of Data Mining published in 2007 that is still somewhat relevant at least for the concepts and terminology:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247418.html?Open

and at Coursera:

https://www.coursera.org/browse/data-science?languages=en

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted