1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cell Membrane Electric Field

1. Apr 19, 2007 #1
    The inner and outer surfaces of a cell membrane carry a negative and positive charge, respectively. Because of these charges, a potential difference of about 0.0730 V exists across the membrane. The thickness of the membrane is 8.22E-9 m. What is the magnitude of the electric field in the membrane?

so i took .0730V and multiplied it by 1.60E-19C to get an answer in joules. i ended up getting 1.168E-20J. i then took that and divided it by .0730V to get an answer in coulombs. and i got 1.6E-19C for that. then i took my answers and plugged them into the equation. E=8.99E9(1.6E-19)/(8.22E-9)^2. then the final answer i got was . and i punched it in and it was wrong. i dont know if i am using the wrong formulas. most likely thats the case. so if you see something im doing wrong and can point me in the right direction that would be a great help. thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2007 #2
    wait, too hard, and I'm thinking youre confused re maybe the notion of a test charge. I think, iirc, you just need to treat this as a ccapacitor which relates E,V, and thickness.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?