Finding the Center of Mass of a System of Rods

In summary: You're going to have to explain this to me further.What do you mean by "linear density"?I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say.
Litcyb

Homework Statement

Three uniform thin rods, each of length L = 22 cm, form an inverted U. The vertical cords each have a mass of 14 grams. The horizontal rod has a mass of 42 grams. What are the x coordinate and y coordinate of the system's center of mass?

Homework Equations

xcom= (x1m1+x2m2+x3m3)/M
ycom= (y1m1+y2m2+y3m3)/M

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to solve this question, but I think I'm a bit confused on the way I solved it.

I set up a coordinate system in which the left top corner of the table is (0,0).
The way I managed to do this is by first finding the center of mass of each part of the table. For instance, the point of the center of mass of the left leg is (0,L/2); for the top of the table, it is (L/2,0); and for the right leg, it would be (L,L/2). And then I would apply it to the equation above.

Now, my question is, do we always have to find the center of mass of every side first in order to calculate the center of mass of the whole system?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1.While solving such center of mass problems, it always helps to consider symmetry (if any) of the situation. For example, in the mentioned problem we can draw an imaginary plane bisecting the table along the y axis. One side of the table is a mirror image of the other (regarding its mass) and thus its center of mass must lie on that plane. Thus the x coordinate can be obtained without any calculation.

2.It always helps to know the center of mass of common mass distributions like a uniform sphere, a uniform rod etc. Thus the system can be split into such simple parts and then the center of mass can be found using these known centers.

Litcyb said:

Homework Statement

Three uniform thin rods, each of length L = 22 cm, form an inverted U. The vertical cords each have a mass of 14 grams. The horizontal rod has a mass of 42 grams. What are the x coordinate and y coordinate of the system's center of mass?

Homework Equations

xcom= (x1m1+x2m2+x3m3)/M
ycom= (y1m1+y2m2+y3m3)/M

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to solve this question, but I think I'm a bit confused on the way I solved it.

I set up a coordinate system in which the left top corner of the table is (0,0).
The way I managed to do this is by first finding the center of mass of each part of the table. For instance, the point of the center of mass of the left leg is (0,L/2); for the top of the table, it is (L/2,0); and for the right leg, it would be (L,L/2). And then I would apply it to the equation above.

Now, my question is, do we always have to find the center of mass of every side first in order to calculate the center of mass of the whole system?

Thank you in advance.
No, but it's the most straightforward way. Did you have another way of solving this kind of problem in mind?

No. at first i thought we just had to take the position of each side and multiply it by the mass. but according to the book, we first had to find center of mass of the sides. Whats the appropriate way of solving these kinds of problems? because i would really like to have a good overall idea on how to approach these problems.

What do you mean by "position of each side"? Isn't that the same as the location of the center of mass of each side? It sounds like you're agreeing with what the book is saying.

Litcyb said:
No. at first i thought we just had to take the position of each side and multiply it by the mass. but according to the book, we first had to find center of mass of the sides. Whats the appropriate way of solving these kinds of problems? because i would really like to have a good overall idea on how to approach these problems.
There is a more general way of expressing the location of the center of mass in terms of volume integrals involving the density. Have you had enough math to understand how to do volume integrals?

Yes, I have. so you're telling me to take the triple integral? but we don't have the density.

Litcyb said:
Yes, I have. so you're telling me to take the triple integral? but we don't have the density.
Since the rods are presumed "thin", you'd use the linear density (λ) instead of the volume density (ρ).

But that will just lead to finding the center of mass of each rod, then using that to find the overall center of mass.

Litcyb said:

If the density is uniform, then you don't need to know the density.

Calculating the center of mass is sort of like calculating your grade point average. You take a weighted average of the grades, weighted in terms of the number of credits.

If [itex]\vec r[/itex] represents a position vector from an arbitrary origin to a given parcel of mass, and [itex]\vec r_c[/itex] represents the position vector to the center of mass, then

[tex]\vec r_c=\frac{\int_V{ \rho \vec r dV}}{\int_V{ \rho dV}}[/tex]

where ρ is the density. Notice that, if ρ is constant, it cancels out.

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in an object or system where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is the average location of all the mass in the object/system.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by finding the weighted average of the individual masses and their respective positions in the object/system. This can be done using the formula: xcm = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn), where xcm is the center of mass, mi is the mass of the i-th particle, and xi is the position of the i-th particle.

3. Why is the center of mass important?

The center of mass is important because it helps us understand the overall behavior of an object or system. It can also be used to determine how an object will move or react to external forces.

4. How does the center of mass relate to stability?

The center of mass is directly related to stability. An object or system is most stable when its center of mass is directly above its base of support. If the center of mass is outside of the base of support, the object/system may become unbalanced and fall over.

5. Can the center of mass be outside of the object?

No, the center of mass must always be located within the boundaries of the object or system. If the center of mass is outside of the object/system, it means that the object/system is not a single, cohesive unit and is instead made up of separate parts with their own centers of mass.