1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centre of mass problem

1. Dec 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two objects of mass m=3kg and M=7kg are held at a distance of 10 meter in space and then released. They move towards each other due to mutual gravitation attraction. Determine the location of their meeting of the object mass m

2. Relevant equations

r= mr1+ Mr2/m+M

3. The attempt at a solution
    The objects will meet at their center of their mass. What I am finding difficult to understand is the method of finding out r1 and r2 with respect to m from the given information

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have two variables r1 and r2 ... so you need two equations.
    The other one is r=r1+r2

4. Dec 11, 2013 #3
    We really don't know the value of r which means there are actually three variables. I have tried to solve it by using your method but 2 equations won't suffice in this case. We need one more equation

5. Dec 11, 2013 #4
    You can find the center of mass using the equation:

[tex]x_c=\frac{\sum{mx}}{\sum{m}}[/tex]

Take as x = 0 as the initial location of mass m.

6. Dec 11, 2013 #5
    You mean I should take r1=0 @Chestermiller

7. Dec 11, 2013 #6
    Yeah, although it doesn't really matter. Take the origin anywhere you want. The answer will come out the same (in terms of the distances from each of the two masses).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted