Change of Variables multiple integrals

In summary, the problem is to find the volume of a cone bounded below by z=2sqrt(x^2+y^2) and above by x^2+y^2+z^2=1. This can be solved using spherical coordinates, with the equations x=ρcos(θ)sin(φ), y=ρsin(θ)sin(φ), z=ρcos(φ). The limits for the integral are determined by the equations of the cone and the sphere, and the symmetry of the region about the z-axis.
missavvy

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the cone bounded below by z=2root(x2+y2) and above by x2 + y2 + z2 = 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I have the solution, I just don't understand how to get it!

So I know I have to change into spherical coordinates but I'm having trouble with this...
so the coordinates are of the form (r, [tex]\varphi[/tex], [tex]\vartheta[/tex])

THe equation of the cone is: tan[tex]\varphi[/tex] = 1/2, r=1 is the equation of the sphere...

My question is how to I swtich from cartesian to spherical?

I thought (x,y,z) = (r, [tex]\varphi[/tex], [tex]\vartheta[/tex]) = (rsin[tex]\varphi[/tex]cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex], rsin[tex]\varphi[/tex]sin[tex]\vartheta[/tex], rcos[tex]\varphi[/tex])

I tried setting r=1=x2 + y2 + z2 ...
Er.. what do I "solve" for first?

Also I know it can be solved using cylindrical coordinates.
Is there one "easier" than the other?
I'm really frustrated.. sorry if this is sloppy :(

Physics news on Phys.org
You already converted to spherical coordinates when you wrote the equations for the sphere and the cone. You just need to translate those into the proper limits on the integral.

[tex]V = \int dv = \int_{r_0}^{r_1} \int_{\phi_0}^{\phi_1} \int_{\theta_0}^{\theta_1} r^2\sin \phi\,d\theta\,d\phi\,dr[/tex]

A sketch may help you visualize what these limits should be.

Did you give much thought to this. In spherical coordinates,
[tex]x= \rho cos(\theta)sin(\phi)[/tex]
[tex]y= \rho sin(\theta)sin(\phi)[/tex]
[tex]z= \rho cos(\phi)[/tex]

So that
[tex]2\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}= 2\sqrt{\rho^2 sin^(\phi)(cos^2(\theta)+ sin^2(\theta))}[/tex]
[tex]= 2\rho sin(\phi)[/tex]

[tex]z= \rho cos(\phi)[/tex]
so "[itex]z= 2\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex]" is
[tex]\rho cos(\phi)= 2\rho sin(\phi)[/tex]
Now, what does that tell you about the limits on [itex]\phi[/itex]?

Similarly, the equation of the sphere, [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= 1[/itex] reduces to
[itex]\rho^2= 1[/itex] or, because [itex]\rho[/itex] is non-negative, [itex]\rho= 1[/itex].
That gives you the limits on [itex]\rho[/itex].

And the fact this region is symmetric about the z-axis gives the limits on [itex]\theta[/itex].

ok .. so I get up to his point: [tex]\int[/tex] (FROM 0 to 1) (2[tex]\pi[/tex]r2(-cos[tex]\varphi[/tex])) (from 0,tan-1(1/2) ) dr

(I may have used different variables than what you suggested, but basically I get that)
How can I sub in the tan into the phi ? do I evaluate arctan(1/2) then put it into the CosPhi? it`s a messy number if I do..

Draw a triangle with such that one of its angles has tangent of 1/2. Using the Pythagorean theorem, you should be able to find cosine of that angle.

1. What is the purpose of using a change of variables in multiple integrals?

The purpose of using a change of variables in multiple integrals is to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. This is especially useful when the integral involves complex functions or when the region of integration is difficult to describe in the original variables.

2. How do you choose the appropriate change of variables for a multiple integral?

To choose the appropriate change of variables, you need to consider the properties of the original integral and the desired properties of the new integral. Some common techniques for choosing a change of variables include substitution, polar coordinates, and cylindrical or spherical coordinates.

3. Can a change of variables affect the value of a multiple integral?

Yes, a change of variables can affect the value of a multiple integral. This is because the new variables may change the shape or size of the region of integration, resulting in a different value for the integral. However, the final result should be equivalent to the original integral.

4. Is there a specific method for evaluating a multiple integral after a change of variables?

Yes, there are specific methods for evaluating a multiple integral after a change of variables. These methods include using the Jacobian determinant and converting the integral into a more familiar form, such as a double or triple integral.

5. Can a change of variables be applied to any multiple integral?

No, a change of variables cannot be applied to any multiple integral. The integral must have certain properties, such as being continuous and bounded, in order for a change of variables to be valid. It is important to carefully consider the properties of the integral before applying a change of variables.