Changing a double integral to polar coordinates

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the limits of integration for r and \vartheta. The author has converted the equation to polar coordinates and has shown the region of integration.
Ral

Homework Statement

Rewrite by converting to polar coordinates, carefully drawing R.

[tex]\int^{2}_{0}\int^{\sqrt{2x-x^2}}_{0}\sqrt{x^2+y^2}dydx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I have the inside part of it right. What I did was replace the x^2 and y^2 in [tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex] with [tex]r^2cos^2\vartheta[/tex] and [tex]r^2sin^2\vartheta[/tex], factored out the r^2, which left me with [tex]cos^2\vartheta+sin^2\vartheta[/tex], which equals 1. So then I would be left with [tex]\sqrt{r^2}rdrd\vartheta[/tex]

What's confusing me is what my limits on the integrals should be. What I have right now is

[tex]\int^{\pi/2}_{0}\int^{2}}_{0}\sqrt{r^2}rdrd\vartheta[/tex]
but I'm still unsure if that's correct or not.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you drawn the region R? From your Cartesian integral, the limits for y range from 0 to sqrt(x^2 - 4). You show this as sqrt(x^2 - 2^2). Is there some reason you wrote 2^2 instead of 4?

Can you show us your reasoning in changing the limits of integration as you did?

One last thing. In your polar integral you should simplify sqrt(r^2) to r.

That limit should have been [tex]\sqrt{2x-x^2[/tex]. I messed up typing it up, I edited it in the right limit.

OK, I thought there might be a typo there. Your region R over which integration takes place is bounded by y = 0 and y = sqrt(2x - x^2), and by x = 0 and x = 2.

Can you draw this region? This problem also asks you to do that. The regions is a simple geometric shape, and one that will make the polar integral very easy.

Many times in these types of problems, the hardest part is understanding exactly what the region of integration looks like. If you can't do this, changing the limits will pretty much be insurmountable.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5444/66431931.jpg

Here's what I had. The 1st quadrant would be shaded. The one that's confusing me the most is the integral for dr, while I think the integral for d[tex]\vartheta[/tex] is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that's what R looks like.
Ral said:
The one that's confusing me the most is the integral for dr, while I think the integral for d[tex]\vartheta[/tex]
is correct.
Do you mean the limits of integration for r and [tex]\vartheta[/tex]?
Otherwise, I don't understand what you mean.

Yes, I mean the limits of integration for r and theta. So if that R is correct, then that means I had the correct answer, right?

Yes, but I would write the polar integral as [tex]\int^{\pi/2}_{0}\int^{2}}_{0}r^2drd\vartheta[/tex]

In the polar interpretation of R, r extends from 0 to 2. All points on the circle are 2 units from its center. [itex]\theta[/itex] extends from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]/2. That gives you the quarter circle in the first quadrant.

Yeah, I was going to do that simplification. Thanks for helping me clarify this.

FAQ: Changing a double integral to polar coordinates

1. What is the purpose of changing a double integral to polar coordinates?

The purpose of changing a double integral to polar coordinates is to simplify the integration process for certain types of functions that have circular or symmetric shapes. It also allows for easier visualization and calculation of areas and volumes in polar regions.

2. How do you convert a double integral to polar coordinates?

To convert a double integral to polar coordinates, the following substitutions are made: x = r cosθ and y = r sinθ. The bounds of integration are also changed from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates, typically using the limits for r and θ that correspond to the region of integration in the original integral.

3. What types of functions are best suited for integration in polar coordinates?

Functions that are circular or have radial symmetry, such as circles, ellipses, and sectors, are best suited for integration in polar coordinates. This includes functions with equations in the form of r = f(θ) or θ = f(r).

4. What are the advantages of using polar coordinates in double integration?

The main advantage of using polar coordinates in double integration is that it simplifies the integration process for certain types of functions. It also allows for easier visualization and calculation of areas and volumes in polar regions. In some cases, it can also lead to more elegant and concise solutions.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using polar coordinates in double integration?

One drawback of using polar coordinates in double integration is that it can be more difficult to determine the boundaries of integration, especially for more complex regions. It also may not be suitable for all types of functions, as some may be more easily integrated in rectangular coordinates.

Back