Changing Order of Integration on Triple Integral

In summary, the given integral \int^{1}_{-1}\int^{1}_{x^2}\int^{1-y}_{0} dz dy dx is being rewritten in different orders of integration, with the attempt at a solution being to integrate over the z-axis first. The limits for dz are determined by the given volume and its boundaries, and in this case, z ranges from 0 to y which is equal to 1-x^2. The student is struggling to understand the concept of changing the order of integration and determining the appropriate limits for each variable.
erok81

Homework Statement

[tex]\int^{1}_{-1}\int^{1}_{x^2}\int^{1-y}_{0} dz dy dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

See the attachment for graph. I am supposed to rewrite the order of integration to the following.

a)dy dz dx
b)dy dx dz
c)dx dy dz

...and so on.

The Attempt at a Solution

First attempt is worthless as I don't understand how to do these. I understand doing them in 2d but with the third direction I am lost. My teacher, book, and solution manual are no help because I guess these are so easy you just get the answers not how they get the answers.

The reason I know I don't get this is I cannot see how the limits change. For the z-axis it seems to me that z will always be from 0 to 1. I know that's wrong but I don't get why.

Any tips to help me understand this?

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,407
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's say that z is going to be our first integration variable. Then when x=0 and y=1, z only ranges from 0 to 0. For any given x and y, the smallest value z can be is going to be 0, but the largest value is going to be a function of x and y, depending on how high the top of your volume is. Basically by having z go first, you're saying for every fixed value of x and y, we're going to integrate over z only, and we only want to integrate over the choices of z so that we are still contained inside the volume (which is independent of the fact that on the z-axis z goes from 0 to 1)

Hmm...I'm not sure if I understand. How does one know which values of x and y would be used to determine z?

I see that z can be either 0 to 1 or 0 to 0 to 1-y, but have no idea which to use and when. Also the answer for one of them contains a small function that I don't even see in the set of limits.

The place where z goes from 0 to 1, is where y=0. So you're really going from 0 to 1-y. When it's going from 0 to 0, y=1 so you're still going from 0 to 1-y. 1-y is the correct answer because the way the top of your volume is defined is by z+y=1, so the largest z can be is z=1-y

If you had a different shape to integrate over, you would need to find out how to describe z in terms of x and y for the top and bottom all over again

I think this is where I am going to fail the class.:redface:

Here's my next stupid question.

In the original setup dy is from x^2 to 1. Why couldn't it be from x^2 to 1-z? I can see it is similar to your explanation above this post, but I don't see it yet.

Ok...I really don't get this one.

Finding dy dz dx

The answer is [tex]\int^{1}_{-1}\int^{1-x^2}_{0}\int^{1-z}_{x^2} dy dz dx[/tex]

I get all of them except the upper limit for dz. How is it 1-x^2? There isn't even a line with that equation??

No, but you are told, in your first integral, that, for all x, and y, z ranges from 0 to y. Further, you know that y ranges from y to [itex]1- x^2[/itex]. That is, z ranges from 0 to [/itex]y= 1- x^2[/itex].

What is the purpose of changing the order of integration on a triple integral?

The purpose of changing the order of integration on a triple integral is to simplify the integration process and make it easier to solve. It can also help to change the limits of integration to better fit the problem at hand.

How do you know when it is necessary to change the order of integration?

It is necessary to change the order of integration when the original order of integration makes it difficult to solve the integral or when the resulting integral is too complex to solve using traditional methods.

What are the steps for changing the order of integration on a triple integral?

The steps for changing the order of integration on a triple integral are as follows:

1. Draw a diagram of the region of integration.
  2. Determine the new order of integration by looking at the limits of integration for each variable.
  3. Write the new limits of integration in terms of the new order of integration.
  4. Write the original integrand in terms of the new order of integration.
  5. Integrate using the new limits and simplified integrand.

Can the order of integration be changed on any triple integral?

Yes, the order of integration can be changed on any triple integral as long as the limits of integration and the integrand are well-defined.

Are there any benefits to changing the order of integration on a triple integral?

Yes, changing the order of integration can make the integral easier to solve and can also reveal new insights into the problem being solved. It can also help to reduce the number of calculations needed to solve the integral.