Charge conjugation in Peskin and Schroeder

In summary, the conversation discusses a computational problem related to charge conjugation and the transformation of Dirac bilinears under C, P, T, and CPT. The specific problem involves an equation (3.145) where the transpose of ##\gamma^2## is taken, leading to incorrect results. However, the mistake is found to be in the assumption that the transpose of ##\gamma^2## is its negative, when in fact it is equal to ##\gamma^2##. This confusion is due to the use of a 2x2 shorthand version instead of the actual 4x4 version. Once this is corrected, the problem is resolved.
diegzumillo
Hey there

I'm trying to reconstruct the entire table of all Dirac bilinears under C, P, T and CPT transformations of page 71 and hit a wall on charge conjugation.

It's a computational problem, really. Here's a specific problem:
Equation 3.145 we have
$$-i\gamma ^2 \left( \psi ^{\dagger }\right) ^T =-i\left( \bar{\psi}\gamma ^0 \gamma ^2 \right) ^T$$

If I understand what is going on, we are taking the transpose of ##\gamma ^2##, which should have changed the sign of the whole expression. This is in Weyl basis. All my calculations following give wrong results but this and this is the first step that shows a problem, so it might be the root. What am I doing wrong?

BTW, I was going to post this in homework/coursework but I feel it doesn't fit the pre-made layout very well.

Physics news on Phys.org
diegzumillo said:
If I understand what is going on, we are taking the transpose of ##\gamma ^2##

Not the way I'm reading the equation you posted. On the LHS, you're taking the transpose of ##\psi^\dagger##, then multiplying that on the left with ##\gamma^2##. On the RHS, you're multiplying togethr ##\bar{\psi}##, ##\gamma^0##, and ##\gamma^2##, and then taking the transpose of the result.

But how does that equality hold? Working from right to left, step by step, and neglecting that -i:
$$(\bar{\psi} \gamma ^0 \gamma^2)^T$$
$$(\psi ^\dagger \gamma^0 \gamma ^0 \gamma^2)^T$$
$$(\psi ^\dagger \gamma^2)^T$$
$$ \gamma^{2T} (\psi ^\dagger)^T$$
$$ -\gamma^2 (\psi ^\dagger)^T$$

I can almost sense it. There is always a dumb mistake and I will slap my forehead. Any moment now.

diegzumillo said:
I can almost sense it. There is always a dumb mistake and I will slap my forehead. Any moment now.
Check eq(3.25). Then check the Pauli matrices.

In a little more detail: $$(\sigma^2)^T ~=~ - \sigma^2 ~~.$$ Therefore, (in Weyl rep), $$(\gamma^2)^T ~=~ \gamma^2 ~~.$$

Likes PeterDonis
Aaaaand there it is. Right on schedule. slaps forehead

This was a rock solid information in my brain so I never bothered to check. That the transpose of ##\gamma^2## is its negative. The confusion is, of course, because I'm just looking at the 2x2 short-hand version and forgot it's actually 4x4.

Edit: Thank you! =)

1. What is charge conjugation in Peskin and Schroeder?

Charge conjugation is an operation in quantum field theory that exchanges particles with their antiparticles. It is represented by the C operator and is used to study the properties of particles and their interactions.

2. How is charge conjugation related to other symmetries in Peskin and Schroeder?

Charge conjugation is one of three discrete symmetries in quantum field theory, along with parity (P) and time reversal (T). Together, they form the CPT symmetry, which is a fundamental principle in particle physics.

3. Why is charge conjugation important in particle physics?

Charge conjugation is important because it allows us to understand the properties of particles and their interactions. By studying how particles and antiparticles behave under charge conjugation, we can gain insights into the underlying symmetries and laws of nature.

4. How is charge conjugation experimentally observed?

Charge conjugation can be observed in experiments through the production and decay of particles. When a particle and its antiparticle are created, they will have opposite charges. By studying the properties of these particles and their decay products, we can confirm the existence of charge conjugation symmetry.

5. Are there any exceptions to charge conjugation symmetry?

While charge conjugation is a fundamental symmetry in particle physics, there are some cases where it is not conserved. This can occur in certain interactions involving the weak nuclear force, such as the decay of a neutron. However, in most cases, charge conjugation is a valid symmetry and plays an important role in our understanding of the subatomic world.