1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chem Problem

1. Sep 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Air in a smoky bar contains 4.3 10-6 mol/L of CO. What mass of CO is inhaled by a bartender who respires at a rate of 13 L/min during an 9.0 h shift?

in g

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Can someone let me know what steps to take with this problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Firstly, you need to learn to convert between grams and moles etc. Do you have a textbook? I'm sure there are examples in there. Do you know how to use the periodic table? You need to show some effort in figuring this out. Take a good look at your notes and see what you can come up with.
  4. Sep 18, 2007 #3
    I understand how to convert from moles to grams, etc im just not sure how i would take the CO amount then throw in the amount he inhales and how many hours to figure it out.
  5. Sep 18, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

Once you've figured out the mass of CO in one litre, you can figure out how much CO he breathes in one minute because you know how many litres he breathes in one minute.
  6. Sep 18, 2007 #5
    I have a total of 3.02 e10 moles he takes in so would i just need to convert that to grams?
  7. Sep 18, 2007 #6
    8.46 e11 g does that sound reasonable
  8. Sep 18, 2007 #7

Homework Helper

I think the 8.46 part is correct, but the magnitude sounds way too big (it isn't e11). The concentration is given as 4.3 x 10^-6 mol/L, not 4.3 x 10^6 mol/L. The minus sign in the exponent is very important!
  9. Sep 18, 2007 #8
    Thanks yeah i should of picked that up i got that one......can you please help me with one of the others i have posted im strugglin on those
  10. Sep 18, 2007 #9
    i got a decimal
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?