Balancing Chemical Equation for Calcium Bromide and Sodium Phosphate

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, the conversation discusses the balanced chemical equation for the reaction between calcium bromide and sodium phosphate, the products of the reaction, how to balance a chemical equation, the purpose of balancing a chemical equation, and the difference between coefficients and subscripts in a chemical equation. It explains that the balanced equation is CaBr<sub>2</sub> + Na<sub>3</sub>PO<sub>4</sub> &#8594; Ca(PO<sub>4</sub>)<sub>2</sub> + 2NaBr, and the products are calcium phosphate (Ca(PO<sub>4</sub>)<sub>2</sub>) and sodium bromide (NaBr). Balancing
Bashyboy
[b]1. Homework Statement [/b] Hi,
I am trying to write and balance the chemical equation between calcium bromide and sodium phosphate.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

3 CaBr2 + 2 Na3PO4 ----> 2 CaPO4 + 6NaBr

That was the final step in my attempts. How do I balance this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula of calcium phosphate is wrong.

Should it possibly be Ca3(PO4)2?

Last edited:
Yes.

I would like to commend you for taking the initiative to balance this chemical equation. Balancing chemical equations is an important skill in chemistry as it ensures that the number of atoms on both sides of the equation are equal, thus following the law of conservation of mass.

Looking at your final attempt, it seems like you have successfully balanced the equation. However, I would suggest writing the coefficients as whole numbers, so the balanced equation would be:

3 CaBr2 + 2 Na3PO4 ---> Ca3(PO4)2 + 6 NaBr

To balance a chemical equation, you need to start by writing out the chemical formulas of all the reactants and products. Then, count the number of atoms of each element on both sides of the equation. In this case, we have:

- Calcium (Ca): 3 on the left and 3 on the right
- Bromine (Br): 6 on the left and 6 on the right
- Sodium (Na): 6 on the left and 6 on the right
- Phosphorus (P): 2 on the left and 2 on the right
- Oxygen (O): 8 on the left and 8 on the right (Note: Oxygen is usually balanced last, as it is often present in more than one compound)

Since the number of atoms for each element is already equal, the equation is balanced.

In summary, your final attempt is correct, but I would suggest using whole numbers as coefficients in the balanced equation. Keep up the good work!

What is the balanced chemical equation for the reaction between calcium bromide and sodium phosphate?

The balanced chemical equation for this reaction is CaBr2 + Na3PO4 → Ca(PO4)2 + 2NaBr.

What are the products of the reaction between calcium bromide and sodium phosphate?

The products of this reaction are calcium phosphate (Ca(PO4)2) and sodium bromide (NaBr).

How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to make sure that the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms of that element on the product side. This can be done by adjusting the coefficients (numbers in front of each compound) until the equation is balanced.

What is the purpose of balancing a chemical equation?

The purpose of balancing a chemical equation is to accurately represent the substances involved in a reaction and their relative amounts. A balanced equation ensures that the law of conservation of mass is followed, meaning that the total mass of the reactants is equal to the total mass of the products.

What is the difference between coefficients and subscripts in a chemical equation?

Coefficients are numbers placed in front of compounds to indicate the relative amounts of each substance involved in a reaction. Subscripts, on the other hand, are numbers written below and to the right of an element's symbol to indicate the number of atoms of that element in a molecule. Coefficients can be changed to balance an equation, while subscripts cannot be changed as they represent the structure of a molecule.