Circuit Analysis: Equation Derivation Help

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with a homework problem involving an equation and ending up with two equations related to a capacitor voltage for a square wave with a given duty cycle and frequency. The other person mentions reading posting guidelines for homework and a sticky thread for further assistance.
frankkk
I am trying to solve a homework problem. I need some help to get going in the right direction if possible. My equation I am starting with is:

Vc(t) = 5(1-e^(-t/T))

and I have to end up with these two equations:
If T > 1/10f then for a 5 V square wave with a 50% duty cycle, the capacitor voltage is given by

Vc(t) = 5 - (5 / 1+e^(-1/2*f * T)) * e^(-t/T)

and

Vc(t) = (5 / 1+e^(-1/2*f * T)) * e^(-t/T)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Frankkk, we can't help you unless you show some effort first. Please read our posting guidelines for homework. Also read the sticky thread at the top of this subforum.

Sure, I can help you with this problem. First, let's break down the given equation Vc(t) = 5(1-e^(-t/T)) to understand what it represents. This equation is known as the transient response of a capacitor in an RC circuit. It shows how the voltage across the capacitor (Vc) changes over time (t) when a step input of 5V is applied to the circuit. The time constant (T) in this equation is equal to the product of the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) in the circuit, i.e. T = RC.

Now, to derive the given equations, we need to consider the behavior of the capacitor in two different cases: when T > 1/10f and when T < 1/10f. Let's start with the first case.

When T > 1/10f, it means that the time constant of the circuit is longer than the period (1/f) of the input square wave. In other words, the capacitor has enough time to fully charge and discharge during each cycle of the input square wave. In this case, the voltage across the capacitor can be simplified to Vc(t) = 5(1-e^(-t/T)) = 5 - 5e^(-t/T).

Next, we need to consider the 50% duty cycle of the input square wave, which means that the ON and OFF time of the square wave are equal. This implies that the capacitor is charged to 5V during the ON time and discharged to 0V during the OFF time. Therefore, the voltage across the capacitor can be written as:

Vc(t) = 5 - 5e^(-t/T) for t < T/2
Vc(t) = 0 for t > T/2

Combining these two equations, we get the final equation:

Vc(t) = 5 - (5 / 1+e^(-1/2*f * T)) * e^(-t/T)

Now, let's consider the second case when T < 1/10f. In this case, the time constant of the circuit is shorter than the period of the input square wave. This means that the capacitor does not have enough time to fully charge and discharge during each cycle of the input square wave. As a result, the voltage across the capacitor will not reach 5V or

1. How do I derive equations for circuit analysis?

To derive equations for circuit analysis, you will need to use Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, and other fundamental principles of circuit theory to create a system of equations that describe the behavior of the circuit. These equations can then be solved using various techniques, such as nodal or mesh analysis, to determine the values of current and voltage in the circuit.

2. What is the difference between nodal and mesh analysis?

Nodal analysis involves creating equations based on the currents flowing into and out of each node in the circuit, while mesh analysis involves creating equations based on the voltages around each individual loop in the circuit. Both methods can be used to solve for the same unknown variables, but they may be more or less useful depending on the complexity of the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of circuit analysis equations?

The purpose of circuit analysis equations is to help us understand and predict the behavior of electrical circuits. By solving these equations, we can determine the values of current and voltage at different points in the circuit, and use this information to design and troubleshoot circuits for various applications.

4. Can I simplify circuit analysis equations?

In some cases, it may be possible to simplify circuit analysis equations by using techniques such as Thevenin or Norton equivalent circuits. These methods involve replacing complex circuits with simpler equivalent circuits that have the same behavior, making it easier to solve for the unknown variables.

5. How do I know if my circuit analysis equations are correct?

To check the accuracy of your circuit analysis equations, you can use a variety of techniques such as simulation software, breadboarding, or testing with real components. These methods can help you verify that your equations accurately describe the behavior of the circuit and can be used to make any necessary adjustments or improvements.