Circuit Analysis: Find V_0 for R_eq = 3kOhm and I_s = 6mA

In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of V_0 in a circuit using Ohm's law and applying KVL and KCL. The solution involves recombining resistors in series and parallel to find the equivalent resistance and using it to solve for V_0. The conversation also mentions using voltage and current dividers for solving similar problems.
Firestrider

Homework Statement

Code:
|------|----a
|      |^   +
|      ||
R_eq   I_s  V_0
|      |
|      |    -
|------|----b

R_eq = 3kOhm
I_s = 6mA

Find V_0.

Homework Equations

Ohm's law: KVL, KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

Should this work just like any other circuit where V = IR? So V = (6 x 10^-3)(3 x 10^3) = 18? Or does it work differently since V_0 is an open circuit.

Here is the original problem:

Attachments

• CAp2.JPG
    CAp2.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
It should work like any other circuit. This problem is asking for the difference in potential between the top node and bottom node of the circuit, which is labeled as V0. However, you are getting the wrong answer because your Req is off. Try recombining the resistors again and you should get it. :smile:

Ok well the first two circuits on the left can connect in series to make 6kohm, then the circuits can connect in parallel to make 4kohm, then connect in series to make 6kohm, and then in parallel again to make 2kohm.

So, V_0 = 6 x 10^-3 * 2 x 10^3 = 12V?

I have 2 other problems attached. I'm not sure how to go about them. I know KVL, KCL, and Ohm's law.

I also know if resistors are in series I can do a voltage divider and if resistors are in parallel I can do a current divider.

Attachments

• CAp1.JPG
    CAp1.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 377
  • CAp3.JPG
    CAp3.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
Yes, your solution for the first one is correct.

If you make an attempt on the other 2 problems and post some work, I can try to help you once the images are approved.

What is the purpose of circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis is used to determine the behavior and characteristics of electrical circuits, such as voltage, current, and resistance values.

What is R_eq and how is it calculated?

R_eq, or equivalent resistance, is the total resistance of a circuit when all resistors are combined. It is calculated by adding the resistances of each individual resistor in series, or using a more complex formula for resistors in parallel.

What is I_s and how does it affect V_0?

I_s, or source current, is the current provided by the voltage source in a circuit. It affects V_0, or the voltage at the output, by determining the amount of current flowing through the circuit and the voltage drop across the resistors.

How do I solve for V_0 in this circuit?

To solve for V_0, you will need to use Ohm's law (V = I*R) and Kirchhoff's voltage law to set up and solve a system of equations. You can also use circuit analysis techniques such as mesh or nodal analysis to solve for V_0.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when performing circuit analysis?

Some common mistakes in circuit analysis include not properly considering the direction of current flow, not accounting for the effects of voltage drops across resistors, and not using the correct equations for resistors in series or parallel. It is also important to double check calculations and use the correct units for all values.