1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit Segment (Two sources with a resistor in between)

1. Oct 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a current I=4 A exists between points a and b, R1=6 [PLAIN]http://loncapa.mines.edu/adm/jsMath/fonts/cmr10/alpha/100/char0A.png, [Broken] R2=6 [PLAIN]http://loncapa.mines.edu/adm/jsMath/fonts/cmr10/alpha/100/char0A.png, [Broken] V1=16 V, and V2=6 V,the voltage difference Va−Vb is

2. Relevant equations
    V=IR

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I do V=IR for the first section up to source V1 (so V=4(6)), but once I get in between, I don't know how to deal with the inside having two voltage sources bombarding it. The answer is 58 V (it's multiple choice), but how?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2014 #2

td21

Gold Member

From the answer, you can guess the physics. Hint: 24 + 24 + x = 58?
    What does the value of x imply the direction of the potential difference caused by the voltage sources?

4. Oct 7, 2014 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You have the current and its direction. So you can assign potential drops across the resistors. Pencil them in on your diagram. Then do a "KVL walk" from b to a summing up the potential changes as you go.

5. Oct 7, 2014 #4
    There we go! I thought you had to do something with the two sources going towards the resistor.

I just went from A to B doing Kirchoff Law calcs (so going in the direction of the current was a negative, going from positive to negative terminals was negative, and the reverses were positive) and am getting it now. Thank ya!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted