Circuit Voltage Dynamic Equations

In summary, the conversation involves understanding the dynamic equations of a circuit with two capacitors, one resistor, and a voltage source using Kirchoff's Current Law. The resulting equations are shown and a concern is raised about the inability to solve them when the two capacitors have the same value. The possibility of the voltage source not being constant is also discussed, and it is concluded that while no current can flow in an open circuit, the potential can still change.
wilsondd

Homework Statement

As part of a larger problem, I'm trying to understand the dynamic equations of the attached circuit with two capacitors and one resistor and a voltage source. When I use Kirchoff's Current Law at nodes V0 and V1, I get the following equations.

Homework Equations

See Attachment for circuit diagram

The Attempt at a Solution

When I use Kirchoff's Current Law at nodes V0 and V1, I get the following equations.

0 = (dVs/dt-dV1/dt)*C1 - (V1-V2)/R - (dV1/dt-dV2/dt)*C2
0 = (dV1/dt-dV2/dt)*C2 + (V1-V2)/R

I have a feeling that this approach is wrong though, since I can't solve the equation when C1 = C2. I would be very appreciative if someone could tell me where I'm going wrong.

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 341
Physics news on Phys.org
wilsondd said:

Homework Statement

As part of a larger problem, I'm trying to understand the dynamic equations of the attached circuit with two capacitors and one resistor and a voltage source. When I use Kirchoff's Current Law at nodes V0 and V1, I get the following equations.

Homework Equations

See Attachment for circuit diagram

The Attempt at a Solution

When I use Kirchoff's Current Law at nodes V0 and V1, I get the following equations.

0 = (dVs/dt-dV1/dt)*C1 - (V1-V2)/R - (dV1/dt-dV2/dt)*C2
0 = (dV1/dt-dV2/dt)*C2 + (V1-V2)/R

I have a feeling that this approach is wrong though, since I can't solve the equation when C1 = C2. I would be very appreciative if someone could tell me where I'm going wrong.

If the terminals at V1 are open circuited as shown then no current can flow, so no potential drops will occur...

gneill said:
If the terminals at V1 are open circuited as shown then no current can flow, so no potential drops will occur...

Yes, but what if the voltage source is not constant?

wilsondd said:
Yes, but what if the voltage source is not constant?

No current can flow. But that doesn't mean the potential cannot change. Anything connected to the top lead of Vs will vary identically in potential w.r.t. to the bottom lead of Vs.

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a critical and analytical mindset. In this case, it seems that the equations derived using Kirchoff's Current Law may not be entirely accurate or may be missing some key elements. It is possible that the circuit may have some non-ideal components or may not be operating under steady-state conditions, which could affect the equations. Additionally, the equations may need to be modified to account for the initial conditions of the circuit.

To accurately solve this problem, it may be helpful to use other circuit analysis techniques such as nodal analysis or mesh analysis. These methods take into account the voltage and current relationships in the circuit and can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the dynamic behavior.

Furthermore, it may be beneficial to double-check the circuit diagram and ensure that all components and connections are accurately represented. Small errors in the circuit could lead to significant discrepancies in the equations.

In conclusion, it is important to approach circuit analysis problems with caution and to consider all aspects of the circuit before deriving equations or attempting to solve them. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or consult additional resources to gain a better understanding of the problem at hand.

Related to Circuit Voltage Dynamic Equations

What are Circuit Voltage Dynamic Equations?

Circuit Voltage Dynamic Equations are mathematical expressions that describe the relationship between voltage and time in an electrical circuit.

Why are Circuit Voltage Dynamic Equations important?

Circuit Voltage Dynamic Equations allow us to analyze and predict the behavior of electrical circuits, making them essential for designing and troubleshooting circuits.

What variables are involved in Circuit Voltage Dynamic Equations?

The main variables in Circuit Voltage Dynamic Equations are voltage (V), time (t), resistance (R), capacitance (C), and inductance (L).

How are Circuit Voltage Dynamic Equations derived?

Circuit Voltage Dynamic Equations are derived from fundamental laws and principles of electricity, such as Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and the equations for capacitors and inductors.

Can Circuit Voltage Dynamic Equations be applied to all types of circuits?

Yes, Circuit Voltage Dynamic Equations can be applied to all types of circuits, including DC and AC circuits, as long as the circuit components and their relationships are known.