Circuit with capacitors in series and parallel

In summary, the equivalent capacitance Ceq of the capacitors is 3mF. The capacitors are connected in parallel and can be reduced to a single equivalent capacitor with a capacitance of 3mF.
leslielau

Homework Statement

Problem taken from : Fundamentals of Physics , Volume 2 ( 7th edition) Halliday , Resnick , Walker

In the figure, a 20.0V battery is connected across capacitors with capacitances C1=C6=3.00mF and
C3=C5=2.00C2=2.00C4=4.00mF

What is the equivalent capacitance Ceq of the capacitors?

Homework Equations

Capacitors in series:
Q = Q1 = Q2 = ...
V = v1 + v2 + ...
1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + ...

Capacitors in parallel:
Q = Q1 + Q2 + ...
V = V1 = V2 = ...
Ceq = C1 + C2 + ...

The Attempt at a Solution

Given data : C1=C6=3.00mF
C3=C5=4.00mF
C2=C4=2.00mF

I tried combining C3 and C5 since they were connected in series:

So 1/C35= 1/4+1/4= C35=2mF

Then I tried combining C35 and C4 as they were connected in parallel :
C345 = 2+2=4mF

Then I'm stuck on how to solve the network of C345,C1,C6 and C2.

Did I do any of the above steps wrong and can anyone give me some hints on how to continue ?? Thanks !

PS: I am sorry that the image in the pdf file may be quite small. Please magnify it to see the numbers .Thanks again !

Attachments

• PROBLEM1.pdf
    174.1 KB · Views: 320
Physics news on Phys.org
You're doing great. I really don't know the rules as to only help you, or give the complete solution, so I'll just go for the hint first:
You say C35 and C4 are connected parallel. That's true. But are there any other ones that are connected parallel?

What I usually do in problems with circuits that are hard to see is to start drawing the hole thing again. Start from the battery, and draw the circuit again, making sure to connect points that are equipotetial(sorry i don't know the english word for that), and have them meet in one and only one point.
I basically got (counting C35 as one capacitor) a series of two packs of capacitors, one pack having 3 connected parallel, the other only 2. That's what you should get as well.

Welcome to PF!

You are probably letting the layout of the drawing confuse you. Try redraw the diagram such that common wires between three elements or more are replaced by a node (draw a dot on the diagram) and then a wire from the node to each element. For instance, the negative of the battery (the top wire) is connected to C4, C5 and C2, so replace that wire by with a node(say, draw a dot over C4) and the connect the node to the anode, C4, C5 and C2.

Once you have done so for the whole diagram it should be easier to spot which element is in parallel and which is in series. If you can trace a path from one node to another without meeting any other nodes on the way, the elements you passed on the path is in series which you can reduce to one equivalent element. If you from one node to another have multiple paths (each only one element) those elements are in parallel and you can replace the paths with a single path with the equivalent element.

I tried redrawing and saw that C35, C4 and C2 are connected parallel ; C6 and C1 are connected parallel .

Then I combined them and C2345= 6mF C16= 6mF

So the answer is 1/Ceq=1/6+1/6

Ceq=3mF?

Looks good.

Thanks for all the help !

1. How do capacitors in series affect the overall capacitance of the circuit?

When capacitors are connected in series, the overall capacitance of the circuit decreases. This is because the capacitors share the same voltage, but the total charge across the series is divided among the capacitors. This results in a smaller total charge and therefore a smaller capacitance.

2. How do capacitors in parallel affect the overall capacitance of the circuit?

When capacitors are connected in parallel, the overall capacitance of the circuit increases. This is because the capacitors share the same voltage, but the total charge across the parallel capacitors is the sum of the individual charges. This results in a larger total charge and therefore a larger capacitance.

3. What is the formula for calculating the total capacitance of capacitors in series?

The formula for calculating the total capacitance of capacitors in series is 1/Ctotal = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ... where Ctotal is the total capacitance and C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitances of the capacitors in series.

4. What is the formula for calculating the total capacitance of capacitors in parallel?

The formula for calculating the total capacitance of capacitors in parallel is Ctotal = C1 + C2 + C3 + ... where Ctotal is the total capacitance and C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitances of the capacitors in parallel.

5. How does the total energy stored in a circuit with capacitors in series compare to a circuit with capacitors in parallel?

The total energy stored in a circuit with capacitors in series is less than a circuit with capacitors in parallel. This is because the voltage across the capacitors in series is divided among the capacitors, resulting in a smaller total charge and therefore less energy stored. In a parallel circuit, each capacitor has the same voltage, resulting in a larger total charge and therefore more energy stored.