Circuits 1 help with this circuit in a DC state

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem involving a capacitor and resistors. The 90v and 6ohm resistor disappear due to the switch branch blocking any effects it may have on the rest of the circuit. The solution for part (d) is 10e^-2000t Amps, and for part (e), ix is calculated at times t = 0- and t = 0+ using the concepts of steady state and replacing the capacitor with a voltage source.
sammyqw

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/a/4YfkJ
http://imgur.com/a/4YfkJ
RKqQnra.png

Homework Equations

for t<0 I understand that Capacitor acts as an open circuit and goes away but why did the 90v and 6ohm resistor disappeared? is it because current doesn't go that way? and also in that KCL at node V1 wouldn't it be v1-(30)/6 + v1/6 + v1-(-2ix)/8 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

http://imgur.com/a/3jlrz[/B]
r3cM1ki.png

http://imgur.com/a/3jlrz

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sammyqw said:
for t<0 I understand that Capacitor acts as an open circuit and goes away but why did the 90v and 6ohm resistor disappeared? is it because current doesn't go that way? and also in that KCL at node V1 wouldn't it be v1-(30)/6 + v1/6 + v1-(-2ix)/8 ?
The 90v and 6ohm resistor "disappear" because the switch branch blocks any effects it might have on the rest of the circuit. No potential difference can be developed across a perfect conductor. Any current in the leftmost loop will be confined there.

Why do you assign a double negative to the last term (the "ix" term")?

As far as I can tell the solution in the image is fine as far as it goes. Of course it doesn't answer the problem's part (a), which wants the capacitor voltage.

Likes sammyqw
yeah it makes sense now thanks. For part d i got 10e^-2000t Amps ,how can I find part e?

sammyqw said:
yeah it makes sense now thanks. For part d i got 10e^-2000t Amps ,how can I find part e?
I haven't done the math for part (d) so I have no comment to make on your suggested solution. If you want to have it checked, present the details of your work.

Part (e) asks for ix at times t = 0- and t = 0+. One is during steady state and the other just after the switch opening. For the first you can ignore the capacitor because at steady state it won't impact any currents -- it behaves as an open circuit. At t = 0+ things are changing so you need to consider the capacitor. For that instant of time you can replace the capacitor with a voltage source that has the same potential difference that the capacitor had the instant before the switch opened (capacitors can't change their potential difference instantaneously). The resulting circuit can be solved by the usual methods. Naturally the solution only applies to that instant after the switch opens.

1. What is a DC state in relation to circuits?

A DC (direct current) state in a circuit refers to a steady flow of electrical current in one direction. This is in contrast to an AC (alternating current) state where the electrical current constantly changes direction.

2. How do I determine the voltage in a DC circuit?

To determine the voltage in a DC circuit, you can use Ohm's Law which states that voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R): V = I * R. You can also use a multimeter to measure the voltage at different points in the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of a resistor in a DC circuit?

A resistor is used in a DC circuit to regulate the flow of current. It acts as a barrier to the flow of electricity, allowing you to control the amount of current flowing through the circuit.

4. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a series circuit, you can add up the individual resistances of each component in the circuit. The formula for this is: R(total) = R(1) + R(2) + ... + R(n).

5. What is the difference between a series and a parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after the other, creating a single path for the current to flow. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, allowing the current to flow through each branch separately. This results in a different overall resistance and current flow in each type of circuit.