Nodal Analysis of a combo circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of analyzing a circuit using the KCL method. The speaker mentions selecting a reference point and performing KCL at that point. They then provide two equations for KCL at two different points, but state that they did not get the correct answer. The summary concludes with a question about the correct answer.
SteliosVas

Homework Statement

Attached is a image of the circuit that I am attempting to analyze:

Homework Equations

KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know I should assign a place in the circuit where I should preform KCL after selecting a reference point.

I selected the reference point as the 2ohm resistor with the right hand side being V2 and the left as V1

Would the KCL at v1 be:

-4+(v1-8)/2+(v1-v2)/2 =0

and KCL at v2 be:

(v2-v1)/2 + v2/4 =0

But I didn't get the right answer. I have not sure now...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 6.08.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 6.08.58 PM.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SteliosVas. What you have written looks right. So try again solving these equations.

What are you given as the correct answer?

Likes donpacino

1. What is nodal analysis in a combo circuit?

Nodal analysis is a method used to analyze the voltage and current in a combination or complex circuit by applying Kirchhoff's current law (KCL) to the nodes or junctions of the circuit. It involves creating equations based on the currents entering and leaving each node to determine the unknown voltages at each node.

2. Why is nodal analysis used in combo circuits?

Nodal analysis is used in combo circuits because it allows for a systematic and efficient way to solve for the unknown voltages and currents in a complex circuit. It is especially useful when there are multiple voltage sources and/or dependent sources in the circuit.

3. What are the steps to perform nodal analysis in a combo circuit?

The steps for performing nodal analysis in a combo circuit are as follows:1. Identify all the nodes in the circuit.2. Choose a reference node and assign it a ground potential of 0V.3. Apply KCL to each node, creating equations based on the currents entering and leaving each node.4. Substitute known values and solve the resulting system of equations to find the unknown voltages at each node.

4. What are the limitations of nodal analysis in combo circuits?

Nodal analysis has a few limitations in combo circuits, including:1. It can only be used to solve for voltage and current in linear circuits.2. It may become more complex and time-consuming when there are many nodes or dependent sources in the circuit.3. It cannot be used if the circuit has floating current sources.

5. How is nodal analysis different from other circuit analysis methods?

Nodal analysis is different from other circuit analysis methods, such as mesh analysis and superposition, because it is based on Kirchhoff's current law (KCL) rather than Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL). This means that nodal analysis is better suited for circuits with multiple voltage sources, while mesh analysis is better for circuits with multiple current sources. Additionally, nodal analysis is more intuitive and easier to apply to complex circuits compared to superposition, which involves breaking the circuit into smaller parts.