Circuits with parallel resistors

In summary, the circuit contains a 10V battery and three resistors in parallel. The resistors have values R1=10ohm, R2=40ohm, R3=50ohm. The voltage across each resistor is 10V. In the second scenario, with resistors values R1=10ohm, R2=20ohm, R3=500ohm, and current flowing through R2=100mA, the current flowing through R1 is 200mA.
chiurox

Homework Statement

1) A circuit contains a 10V battery and three resistors in parallel. The resistors have values R1=10ohm, R2=40ohm, R3=50ohm. What is the voltage across each resistor?

2)This time, the 3 resistors in parallel have values R1=10ohm, R2=20ohm, R3=500ohm. The current flowing through R2=100mA. What is the current flowing through R1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) 10 V across each, because the voltage is the same across parallel resistors right?

2) I made a V-I-R chart. Since R2 has a current of 100mA and its resistance is 20ohm, then the voltage is 2.0V. Since the resistors are in parallel, the voltage is the same for R1.
So 2volts=I(10ohm)
I=200 mA is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi chiurox,

That looks correct to me.

yeah that's absolutely right

Oh... ok, I was a bit insecure. thanks

1. What is a parallel circuit and how does it differ from a series circuit?

A parallel circuit is an electric circuit in which the components are connected side by side, allowing multiple paths for the electric current to flow. This is different from a series circuit, where the components are connected end to end, creating only one path for the current to flow.

2. How do you calculate the total resistance in a circuit with parallel resistors?

To calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit, you can use the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn, where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances. Alternatively, you can use the formula Rt = (R1 * R2 * R3 * ... * Rn) / (R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn).

3. How does adding more resistors in parallel affect the total resistance of a circuit?

Adding more resistors in parallel decreases the total resistance of the circuit. This is because the more paths there are for the current to flow, the easier it is for the current to flow through the circuit, resulting in a lower overall resistance.

4. What is the purpose of using parallel resistors in a circuit?

Parallel resistors are used in circuits to divide the current and voltage among multiple paths. This can be helpful in controlling the amount of current flowing through different components and preventing one component from becoming overloaded.

5. Can you have an infinite number of resistors in parallel in a circuit?

In theory, there is no limit to the number of resistors that can be connected in parallel in a circuit. However, in practical applications, there may be limitations due to factors such as space, cost, and the resistance of the wires used to connect the resistors.