Classical Mechanics: Two Body Problem

In summary, when considering two objects with masses m1 and m2 exerting forces on each other with magnitude F, the corresponding equations of motion for the center of mass R and relative position r in terms of the total mass M and reduced mass μ are given by M̈R=0 and μ̈r=F. Additionally, the relative positions r1 and r2 can be found using the defining equations for R and r.
teme92

Homework Statement

Consider two objects with masses ##m_1## and ##m_2## exerting forces on each other with magnitude ##F##. If no other net forces act on the objects, they obey the equations of motion

##m_1\ddot r_1=F##, ##m_2\ddot r_2=-F##

Show that the corresponding equations of motion for the centre of mass ##R## and the relative position ##r## of the two objects in terms of the total mass ##M## and the reduced mass ##\mu##, are given by

##M\ddot R=0##, ##\mu\ddot r=F##

and that

##r_1=R+\frac{m_2}{M}r##, ##r_2=R-\frac{m_1}{M}r##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the relation where ##F_{12}+F_{21}=0## I said ##m_1\ddot r_1+m_2\ddot r_2=0##. This equates to ##M\ddot R=0## as asked.

To show ##\mu\ddot R=F##, I manipulated ##m_1a_1=-m_2a_2## to get ##a_2=-\frac{m_1}{m_2}a_1##. Then using

##a_{rel}=a_1-a_2=a_1+\frac{m_1}{m_2}a_1=(1+\frac{m_1}{m_2})a_1##

##=\frac{m_2+m_1}{m_1m_2}m_1a_1##, Therefore ##\frac{F}{\mu}=a_{rel}=\ddot r##

And finally ##\mu\ddot r=F##

I can't find a way of finding ##r_1## and ##r_2## as asked however. I tried using ##m_1r_1+m_2r_2=0## but I can't find it as I'm asked. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the defining equations for the center of mass R and relative position r

Likes teme92
Worked a charm cheers!

1. What is the "Two Body Problem" in Classical Mechanics?

The Two Body Problem in Classical Mechanics is a mathematical problem that involves studying the motion of two point masses under the influence of their mutual gravitational attraction. It is a simplified version of the more complex N-body problem, where N refers to any number of point masses.

2. What are the assumptions made in the Two Body Problem?

The Two Body Problem assumes that the two masses are point masses with no physical size, and that they have no external forces acting on them except for their mutual gravitational attraction. It also assumes that the masses are not rotating or moving in any other way besides their mutual orbit.

3. How is the Two Body Problem solved?

The Two Body Problem is solved using Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation. By setting up and solving a system of differential equations, the positions and velocities of the two masses at any given time can be determined.

4. What is the significance of the Two Body Problem in Classical Mechanics?

The Two Body Problem is significant because it provides a foundation for understanding more complex systems of point masses, such as the N-body problem. It also has practical applications in fields such as astrodynamics, where it is used to predict the trajectories of celestial bodies.

5. Are there any limitations to the Two Body Problem?

Yes, there are limitations to the Two Body Problem. It assumes that the masses are point masses, which is not always the case in real-world situations. It also assumes that the masses are not affected by any external forces besides their mutual gravitational attraction, which may not be true in certain scenarios.