1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Mechanics: Two Body Problem

1. Aug 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider two objects with masses ##m_1## and ##m_2## exerting forces on each other with magnitude ##F##. If no other net forces act on the objects, they obey the equations of motion

##m_1\ddot r_1=F##, ##m_2\ddot r_2=-F##

Show that the corresponding equations of motion for the centre of mass ##R## and the relative position ##r## of the two objects in terms of the total mass ##M## and the reduced mass ##\mu##, are given by

##M\ddot R=0##, ##\mu\ddot r=F##

and that

##r_1=R+\frac{m_2}{M}r##, ##r_2=R-\frac{m_1}{M}r##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the relation where ##F_{12}+F_{21}=0## I said ##m_1\ddot r_1+m_2\ddot r_2=0##. This equates to ##M\ddot R=0## as asked.

To show ##\mu\ddot R=F##, I manipulated ##m_1a_1=-m_2a_2## to get ##a_2=-\frac{m_1}{m_2}a_1##. Then using

##a_{rel}=a_1-a_2=a_1+\frac{m_1}{m_2}a_1=(1+\frac{m_1}{m_2})a_1##

##=\frac{m_2+m_1}{m_1m_2}m_1a_1##, Therefore ##\frac{F}{\mu}=a_{rel}=\ddot r##

And finally ##\mu\ddot r=F##

I can't find a way of finding ##r_1## and ##r_2## as asked however. I tried using ##m_1r_1+m_2r_2=0## but I can't find it as I'm asked. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2015 #2
    Use the defining equations for the center of mass R and relative position r

4. Aug 13, 2015 #3
    Worked a charm cheers!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted