Coefficient of friction for surface

In summary: I was trying to find the mass of the block, and then I was trying to find the weight of the block, but I was using the wrong units. In summary, a block weighing 9.1 N requires a force of 2.8 N to push it along at constant velocity. What is the coefficient of friction for the surface?
Mini_Mashi
a) A block weighing 9.1N requires a force of 2.8N to push it along at constant velocity. What is the coefficient of friction for the surface?
b) A weight "W" is now place on the the block and 8N is needed to push them both at constant velocity. What is weight "W" on the block?

This is what I got:
Since it is constant velocity, there is no acceleration, therefore Fnet is 0, therefore Ff is 2.8N.
Normal force is (9.1)(9.8) =89.18N
Formula: Ff=uN

2.8=u(89.18)
2.8/89.18=u
Therefore u= 0.031
, but that's not the right answer... Why? what did I do wrong?

I take it I need to know a before I can do b?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you multiply the weight of 9.1 N by 9.8 to get the normal force?

jamesrc said:
Why did you multiply the weight of 9.1 N by 9.8 to get the normal force?

Hm? Don't you need to?
Fg=mg so Fg=(9.1)(9.8), and normal force is going the other direction and Fnet=0, so normal force is also 89.18.

Isn't that right?

The weight would equal the mass times g, but you weren't given the mass, you were given the weight which is equal to the normal force. Look at your units: N is a unit of force, if you were given mass in kg and multiplied that by g which has units [m/s^2], you would end up with Newtons (again, a force). But what is 1N * 1m/s^2?

jamesrc said:
The weight would equal the mass times g, but you weren't given the mass, you were given the weight which is equal to the normal force. Look at your units: N is a unit of force, if you were given mass in kg and multiplied that by g which has units [m/s^2], you would end up with Newtons (again, a force). But what is 1N * 1m/s^2?

ohhh. I see what I did wrong, thanks! You're great help!
I can't believe my mistake!

What is the coefficient of friction for a surface?

The coefficient of friction for a surface is a measure of the amount of resistance or "stickiness" between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless value, typically denoted by the Greek letter μ (mu).

How is the coefficient of friction determined?

The coefficient of friction is determined by conducting experiments where two surfaces are in contact with each other and measuring the force required to keep them in motion. The ratio of this force to the normal force (the force perpendicular to the contact surface) is the coefficient of friction.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction for a surface?

The coefficient of friction for a surface can be affected by a variety of factors including the roughness of the surface, the materials of the surfaces in contact, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces.

Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important because it helps us understand and predict how objects will interact with each other when in contact. It is also crucial in engineering and design, as it can impact the performance and durability of machines and structures.

What are some practical applications of the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction has many practical applications, including determining the grip of tires on different road surfaces, predicting the wear and tear of mechanical parts, and designing efficient conveyor systems. It is also important in sports, such as determining the grip of a tennis court or the sliding ability of a hockey puck on ice.