What is the Coefficient of Friction Between a Book and the Floor?

In summary, the problem involves a book with a mass of 400 g being pushed along a horizontal floor with an applied force of 5 N. The book accelerates at a rate of -1.5 m/s^2. Using Newton's 2nd law, the net force in the horizontal direction is calculated to be 1.276 N, resulting in a friction coefficient of 8.75. However, the high value of the coefficient raises uncertainty about the accuracy of the problem. The process of solving the problem involves summing the forces in the y and x dimensions and using the appropriate equations. It is recommended to work with symbols until the desired variable is solved for before substituting in numbers.
mode656

Homework Statement

A book has a mass of 400 g. When you slide the book against the floor with 5 N, it accelerated at the rate of -1.5 m/s^2. What would the coefficient of friction between the book and the floor be?

Homework Equations

Ff = μFN

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to learn physics on my own solely through whatever reliable resources i may stumble upon on the internet. So bear with me if my answer or my method is not correct. Anything I know about physics is self taught(trying to prepare for college)

I tried it a few different ways
Ff = μFN
5N=μ(.4x9.8)
5N=μ(3.92)
5N/3.92=μ
1.276=μ

5N=μ(.4x-1.5)
5N=μ(2.666[STRIKE]6[/STRIKE])
5N/-.26666[STRIKE]6[/STRIKE]=μ
8.75=μ (i know this can't be right)

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither solution is correct, but the problem is not all that clear. Presumably, the book is being pushed along a horizontal floor with an applied horizontal force of 5N acting to the left. Use Newton's 2nd law to calculate the net force acting on the book in the horizontal direction. The net force consists of the applied force in one direction and the friction force in the other direction.. You must calculate the friction force, then use your relevant equation to solve for the friction coefficient. The result is a rather high value, so I'm unsure if the problem is worded correctly. Wecome to PF!

OK, well you have the correct equation, but you seem to lack understanding about Newtons's 2nd Law. Which ultimately yields F=ma. Secondly it's important to remember that forces and accelerations are vector quantities. Now the problem isn't very clear, but I'm nearly positive the 5N is applied horizontally to cause the book to slide.

The first step, is to sum the force vectors in the y dimension, and then the ones in the x dimension.
[tex]
\sum F_{y} = F_{N} - F_{g} = ma_{y} = 0
[/tex]
The reason this equals 0 is because there is no acceleration in the y direction.
Then you can conclude that:
[tex]
F_{g} = F_{n}
[/tex]
I think you already understood this, but I just want to be clear.
Next you work on the x direction
[tex]
\sum F_{x} = F_{k} - F_{p} = ma_{x}
[/tex]
You already know what to sub in for Fk, and Fp is the force of the push. I think it's pretty easy from there. I hope I haven't said too much, but I wanted to show you this process. It's pretty much identical on mechanics problems.

Additional, the reason I said Fk was positive and the Fp was negative is because the problem states that the acceleration is negative.

Good luck!

Yes. And the FM=-mg is an action reaction pair which is Newton's 3rd Law.

Also just a tip from my experience. I can tell by the way you worded the question: "Calculate then...put in" that you are going to solve for it then move on. Many times it's better to just work with the symbols until you've solved to the desired variable, then put numbers in. I think this helps you to understand physics better conceptually, not to mention it helps your algebra skills. You don't have to, but just a thought.

EDIT: haha, I guess you figured it out then.

when i find the friction force(FN=-mg or Fn= (-.4kg x-9.8m/s2 i divide the net force by this value?

Edit: i think i did lol thanks
also i think i forgot a one in the second answer of mine its supposed to be (18.75)

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless quantity that ranges from 0 (perfectly smooth and frictionless) to 1 (perfectly rough and high friction).

How is the coefficient of friction measured?

The coefficient of friction is typically measured by conducting a controlled experiment where a known force is applied to a surface and the resulting frictional force is measured. The ratio of these two forces is the coefficient of friction.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is affected by several factors, including the type of material and surface roughness of the two surfaces in contact, the amount of force applied, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important in many fields, including engineering, physics, and materials science. It helps determine the amount of force needed to move an object, the efficiency of a machine, and the wear and tear of materials.

Can the coefficient of friction be changed?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can be changed by altering the factors that affect it. For example, using different materials, adding lubricants, or changing the surface roughness can all change the coefficient of friction between two surfaces.