Coefficient of Kinetic Friction lab question

In summary, a user is seeking help with a lab on static and kinetic coefficients of friction. They are specifically looking for the expected or known values for wood against rubber and steel against wood. They have searched multiple websites but can't find the values and are asking for assistance in finding a website or someone who may know the values. Another user provides a helpful website link, but the original user is still looking for the coefficient of kinetic friction for rubber against wood.
jman1114
Hey,

New here so I don't know if I'm posting this in the right area if I'm not please redirect me. I have this lab on static and kinetic coefficients of friction. One of the discussion questions is what are the expected or known values for wood against rubber and steel against wood. Basically the lab was drag a rubber stopper and a metal puck across a wooden board and then calculate the coefficient (I know easy). But I can't find the coefficient of kinetic friction for each of those two and I've looke at 20 or 30 websites. So my question is could someone either point me in the right direction or show me a website that has the values because I'll need it for referencing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot for that link it really helped. But does any possibly off the top of their head know what rubber against wood might be?

Related to Coefficient of Kinetic Friction lab question

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact when one is moving relative to the other. It is a unitless value that is determined by dividing the force of friction by the normal force.

How is the coefficient of kinetic friction determined in a lab?

In a lab, the coefficient of kinetic friction can be determined by measuring the force required to keep an object moving at a constant speed across a surface. This force is divided by the weight of the object to calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction.

What factors can affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

There are several factors that can affect the coefficient of kinetic friction, including the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the objects, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances between the surfaces.

Why is it important to know the coefficient of kinetic friction?

Knowing the coefficient of kinetic friction can help engineers and scientists understand the behavior of objects in motion and design more efficient systems. It can also help in predicting and preventing accidents due to friction, such as car crashes or equipment malfunctions.

How can the coefficient of kinetic friction be reduced?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be reduced by using lubricants, polishing or smoothing the surfaces, or using materials with lower coefficients of friction. Additionally, increasing the surface area in contact or decreasing the weight of the objects can also reduce the coefficient of kinetic friction.