Coefficient of Kinetic Friction Question

In summary, the box slides down a plank with a constant acceleration of 5 m/s2 and has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.88.
craig.16

Homework Statement

A box is held on a rough plank inclined at an angle of 60° to the horizontal. The box is
released from rest and slides down the plank with a constant acceleration of 5 m/s2. Calculate
the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the plank.

Homework Equations

f(k)=mu(k)*N

The Attempt at a Solution

I got:
N=mgcos60=9.81mcos60
F(k)=masin60=5msin60
then rearranged above equation to mu(k)=F(k)/N to give me (500/981)tan60 which came to 0.88 (2dp). Just need to know if my answer is right or if I messed up somewhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi craig! :smile:

(have a mu: µ :wink:)
craig.16 said:
N=mgcos60=9.81mcos60

that's fine :smile:
F(k)=masin60=5msin60
then rearranged above equation to mu(k)=F(k)/N to give me (500/981)tan60 which came to 0.88 (2dp).

no, i don't follow that :confused:

what is your Ftotal = ma equation?

since the N is perpendicular to F when F=ma and a=5, if N=mgcos60=9.81mcos60 then F would be:
F=masin60=5msin60 and using the coefficient of kinetic equation mu(k)=F/N that goes to (500/981)tan60 giving me 0.88. Are you just confused about how I got it or am i just completely wrong or going off track here lol. Oh and the F(k) is the F(total).

Is your F the total force (down the slope), or only the friction force?

It seems to be both. :confused:

F is the total force.

The two forces parallel to the incline are:

The parallel component of the gravitational force
and
The frictional force.

When added together, these two forces should equal the total force.

To get the total force, multiply the mass times the acceleration down the incline.

Sorry your right I jumped to far ahead without thinking. I tried again and got
. Is this the right answer?

that looks about right :smile:

but why haven't you shown how you got it?

exam marks aren't all for the right result, the way you get it matters too :wink:

Thanks for the help. I'll make sure next time to include my working out, I know it needs to be done in the exam but for some reason I decided to post just the answer here. Always good to be notified though as a reminder. :smile:

Related to Coefficient of Kinetic Friction Question

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact when one surface is in motion relative to the other. It is represented by the Greek letter μ (mu) and has no units.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is calculated by dividing the force required to keep an object in motion by the force pressing the two surfaces together. This can be represented by the equation μ = Fk/N, where μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction, Fk is the force required to keep the object in motion, and N is the normal force pressing the two surfaces together.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be affected by several factors, including the type of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances between the surfaces. It can also be affected by the speed at which the surfaces are moving relative to each other.

4. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction measures the resistance between two surfaces when one surface is in motion, while the coefficient of static friction measures the resistance between two surfaces when there is no motion. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction, as it takes more force to overcome the initial resistance and put an object in motion.

5. Why is the coefficient of kinetic friction important?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion on different surfaces. It is also crucial in determining the amount of force needed to keep an object in motion or to stop it from moving. Understanding the coefficient of kinetic friction is essential in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and materials science.