Calculating Rebound Height for a Ball Colliding with Steel Plate

In summary, the conversation discusses the coefficient of restitution for a ball colliding with a steel plate and the calculation of the ball's rebound height when dropped from a certain height. The formula for calculating the coefficient of restitution is mentioned, and it is suggested to look up the definition for a quick answer. The conversation also touches on the idea of using unknown variables to solve seemingly incomplete questions.
Arlan
Question: The coefficient of restitution for ball colliding with steel is 0.95. If ball is dropped from height h sub o above steel plate, to what height will the ball rebound?

Please help me with this one, Is there a formula for this? all I know is e equals velocity of the first object subtract to velocity of the second object divided by the velocity of the second object subtract to velocity of the first object.

Physics news on Phys.org
So apply the formula you know to the situation. What are the velocities here?

I believe this is a thought question with no equation required. You are over complicating it. Lookup:the definition of "Coefficient of Restitution" and I think you will realize the quick answer.

haruspex said:
So apply the formula you know to the situation. What are the velocities here?
there are no velocities given, but thanks

JBA said:
I believe this is a thought question with no equation required. You are over complicating it. Lookup:the definition of "Coefficient of Restitution" and I think you will realize the quick answer.
I'll do that. thanks for helping

Arlan said:
there are no velocities given, but thanks
You must not let that block you. Many questions appear not to provide enough information, but if you simply plug in unknowns as necessary you may find they later cancel.
In the present case, however, you are effectively given the velocities. You know the height from which the ball is released, so you can find the impact velocity. You also know the velocity of the ground before and after, so you can use the restitution factor to find the rebound velocity of the ball. Etc.

Likes Arlan
haruspex said:
You must not let that block you. Many questions appear not to provide enough information, but if you simply plug in unknowns as necessary you may find they later cancel.
In the present case, however, you are effectively given the velocities. You know the height from which the ball is released, so you can find the impact velocity. You also know the velocity of the ground before and after, so you can use the restitution factor to find the rebound velocity of the ball. Etc.
okay. I'll keep that in mind. thanks

1. What is the Coefficient of Restitution (COR)?

The Coefficient of Restitution, also known as the restitution coefficient, is a measure of the elasticity of a collision between two objects. It is a dimensionless number between 0 and 1, where 1 represents a perfectly elastic collision and 0 represents a completely inelastic collision.

2. How is the COR calculated?

The COR is calculated by dividing the relative velocity of separation (velocity after the collision) by the relative velocity of approach (velocity before the collision). This can be represented mathematically as COR = Vf/Vi, where Vf is the final velocity and Vi is the initial velocity.

3. What factors affect the COR?

The COR can be affected by various factors, including the materials and surface properties of the objects involved in the collision, the angle and speed of the impact, and any external forces acting on the objects. In general, a higher COR indicates a more elastic collision, while a lower COR indicates a less elastic (or more inelastic) collision.

4. Why is the COR important in physics and engineering?

The COR is an important concept in physics and engineering because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in collisions. It can be used to analyze and design systems involving moving objects, such as sports equipment, car crashes, and even planetary collisions. It also allows us to determine the amount of kinetic energy lost or conserved in a collision.

5. How is the COR used in real-life applications?

The COR is commonly used in sports, especially in the design and testing of equipment like golf clubs, baseball bats, and tennis rackets. It is also important in car safety, as engineers use it to design vehicles that can withstand collisions and protect passengers. In addition, the COR is used in the study of astrophysics to understand and simulate the dynamics of celestial bodies in collisions.