Coil Design for Uniform Magnetic Field?

In summary, a flat ring or spiral coil design would be a better option for a PEMF treatment mattress or pad.
Cburg1
Dear Forum,

I am attempting to make a treatment mattress or pad for PEMF treatment of osteoporosis. I have osteo, and there are commercial units available, but they cost ~$3K+! I have a capacitor discharge circuit, but need a coil design for the pad. I created a gauss probe with a linear hall effect, and can measure the desired levels on my PC Scope. I wound a flat circular coil, and see that the desired levels are present. The coil is wound all the way to the center. Over the center the field is quite strong, and tapers off as the probe is passed from the center to the outside edges.

Would a flat ring coil design, with a large open center work better? Or one with a certain size open center? I wish there was a free fea program that was easy to use available, but I cannot find one. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Mike
:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

There have been a lot of claims about PEMF for all kinds of things, and some encouraging scientific papers published as well. Unfortunately most of the claims about these beds are overstated. I found an accessible discussion covering positive and negative sides here.

The commercial beds don't seem to be bothered with having a uniform field over the body ... to do that I'd suggest either sleeping in the middle of a huge long solenoid or using an array of small solenoids above and below the bed (for a vertical field).

A spiral solenoid won't be ideal - you want to wrap the bed in the coil and leave the inside empty (or, use an iron core?) but I think the array above and below would have a steampunk aesthetic that could be quite fetching: forget mirrors on the ceiling...

However - although the method has good results for things like bone fusing, the mats are quite quacky and long terms exposure to some pulsed fields could be dangerous. As a sufferer you will be aware that there are a lot of quack "treatments" making claims about oesteoporosis so you are right not to shell out thousands for this stuff.

Related to Coil Design for Uniform Magnetic Field?

1. How does the number of turns in a coil affect the uniformity of the magnetic field?

The number of turns in a coil directly affects the strength of the magnetic field produced, but it does not necessarily guarantee uniformity. In order to achieve a uniform magnetic field, the coil must have a specific ratio of length to diameter. This means that the number of turns should be chosen accordingly to achieve the desired uniformity.

2. Can the shape of the coil affect the uniformity of the magnetic field?

Yes, the shape of the coil can greatly affect the uniformity of the magnetic field. Coils with a rectangular or square shape tend to produce a more uniform magnetic field compared to cylindrical coils. This is because the corners of the rectangular or square shape help to cancel out any non-uniformities in the magnetic field.

3. How does the current flowing through the coil affect the uniformity of the magnetic field?

The current flowing through the coil is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field produced. However, if the current is too high, it can cause non-uniformities in the magnetic field. It is important to choose an appropriate current that balances the strength and uniformity of the magnetic field.

4. Can the distance between the coils affect the uniformity of the magnetic field?

Yes, the distance between the coils can affect the uniformity of the magnetic field. If the coils are too far apart, there may be non-uniformities in the magnetic field. It is important to choose a distance that allows for a sufficient strength of the magnetic field while also maintaining uniformity.

5. What materials are commonly used for coils in designing a uniform magnetic field?

Copper is the most commonly used material for coils due to its high conductivity and low resistance. It is also important to use a material that can withstand high temperatures, as excessive heat can cause non-uniformities in the magnetic field. Other materials that are sometimes used include aluminum, silver, and gold.