Complete the chemical equation

In summary, a chemical equation is a representation of a chemical reaction with reactants and products on the left and right sides respectively. To balance a chemical equation, the number of atoms of each element must be equal on both sides. The symbols and numbers in a chemical equation represent the elements and their quantities, while the arrow shows the direction of the reaction. Balancing a chemical equation is important because it follows the law of conservation of mass and ensures that the same number of atoms are present on both sides. Subscripts should not be changed in a chemical equation as they represent the number of atoms in a molecule. Only coefficients can be adjusted to achieve balance.
psneath

Homework Statement

Complete and balance the following chemical equation
BaO + P2O5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The only one possible product I've been able to arrive at is Ba(PO3)2 but this is based on no science whatsoever. I can't find anything in my text that helps me predict this product
THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
That would be my guess too.

Sometimes if you don't have any guidance on what the product or products would be, you just have to play around with the reactants and see what you can make as long as everything balances (charges and equation).

1. What is a chemical equation?

A chemical equation is a symbolic representation of a chemical reaction, with the reactants on the left side and the products on the right side. It shows the chemical formulas of the substances involved and the relative amounts of each substance.

2. How do I balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to make sure that the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides of the equation. You can do this by adjusting the coefficients (numbers in front of the chemical formulas) to achieve balance.

3. What do the symbols and numbers in a chemical equation mean?

The symbols represent the elements involved in the reaction, and the numbers indicate the number of atoms or molecules of each element. The arrow () represents the direction of the reaction, with the reactants on the left and the products on the right.

4. Why is it important to balance a chemical equation?

Balancing a chemical equation is important because it follows the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction. A balanced equation ensures that the same number of each type of atom is present on both sides of the reaction.

5. Can I change the subscripts in a chemical equation?

No, you should not change the subscripts in a chemical equation as they represent the number of atoms of each element in a molecule. Changing the subscripts would change the chemical formula and therefore the entire equation. The only numbers that can be changed are the coefficients.