1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Fourier Series & Full Fourier Series

1. Dec 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Claim: If f(x) is a REAL-valued function on x E [-L,L], then the full Fourier series is exactly equivalent to the complex Fourier series.

This is a claim stated in my textbook, but without any proof. I also searched some other textbooks, but still I have no luck of finding the proof.
    I've already spent an hour thinking about how to show that this is true, but still I am not having much progress. Here is what I've got so far:

Full Fourier series is:
    fourier_series.gif
    where
    coefficient.gif

Complex Fourier series is:
    complex.gif
    where
    complex_coefficient.gif
    And now I am having trouble with this...how can I use the last part to show that if f(x) is REAL-valued, the complex Fourier series can be reduced to the full Fourier series. Can someone please show me how to continue from here? I also don't see how a sum from negative infinity to infinity (for complex Fourier series) can possibly be reduced to a sum from 0 to infinity (for full Fourier series). It seems like I have no hope...

2. Relevant equations
    As shown above

3. The attempt at a solution
    As shown above

I am really frustrated now and any help is very much appreciated! :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

An obvious first step is to use the fact that [itex]e^{in\pi x/L}= cos(n\pi x/L)+ i sin(n\pi x/L)[/itex]. Multiply it out and use the fact that cos(-x)= cos(x), sin(-x)= sin(x).

4. Dec 9, 2009 #3
    OK, the following is what I got.
    (for simplicity I am taking the interval to be from -pi to pi)

pde3.JPG

Is this a correct proof??

Thanks!

5. Dec 9, 2009 #4
    The claim is
    "If f(x) is a REAL-valued function on x E [-L,L], then the full Fourier series is exactly equivalent to the complex Fourier series."

But nowhere in the proof have I assumed f(x) is real-valued. Is it absolutely necessary for f(x) to be REAL-valued in order to prove that the full Fourier series is exactly equivalent to the complex Fourier series??

6. Dec 10, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's because the equality of those sums does not depend upon real or complex numbers. We require that F be real valued in order to have the coefficients real numbers.

7. Dec 10, 2009 #6
    But looking at my proof above, I believe that the full Fourier series and the complex Fourier series are equivalent in general, even when f(x) is complex-valued. Right??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook