What Steps Solve a Complex Molarity Problem?

In summary, the problem is asking for the molarity of Na+ in a solution of Na3PO4. The equation provided, "Molarity = moles * volume", is incorrect and should be "Molarity = moles per liter". To solve the problem, determine the ratio of Na+ in Na3PO4 and multiply it by the given molar concentration of Na+. Then, set up a ratio using the molarity of Na3PO4 and the calculated molarity of Na+ and determine whether the answer should be greater than 1 or less than 1 to determine which ratio to use. Finally, multiply this ratio by the desired volume of the solution.
pasido

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/Rz0qB.png

Homework Equations

The answer is B, but I would like to know how to find the answer.
Molarity = moles * volume

The Attempt at a Solution

Yep, I tried for 15+ minutes and couldn't get the darn units to cancel out. A worked out solution would be very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
pasido said:

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/Rz0qB.png

Homework Equations

The answer is B, but I would like to know how to find the answer.
Molarity = moles * volume

The Attempt at a Solution

Yep, I tried for 15+ minutes and couldn't get the darn units to cancel out. A worked out solution would be very helpful.

Is there a reason you have provided an image, rather than text?

How many moles of Na+ do you need?

The relevant equation, "Molarity = moles * volume", is wrong.

Molarity = mole per liter or mol/L

Determine the ratio of Na+ in Na3PO4 by observing the formulas (*Hint 1/3 or 3/1). Multiply this by your Molar concentration of Na+ given in the problem.

Next, set up a ratio of:

[Na*(1/3 or 3/1) (M)] / Na3PO4 (M)

or

Na3PO4 (M) / [Na*(1/3 or 3/1) (M)]

(reason whether the answer should be greater than 1 or less than 1 to determine which ratio to use).

Finally multiply this by the volume you're trying to prepare.

I can provide you with a solution to this complex molarity problem. First, let's define some terms and equations that will help us solve this problem. Molarity is defined as the number of moles of solute per liter of solution. This can be expressed mathematically as M = moles of solute / liters of solution. We also know that moles can be calculated by multiplying the given mass of the solute by its molar mass. Therefore, we can rewrite the equation as M = (mass of solute * molar mass) / liters of solution.

Now, let's apply this to the problem at hand. We are given a solution with a volume of 250 mL (0.25 L) and a concentration of 0.05 M. We also know that the solute is Fe(NO3)3 and its molar mass is 241.86 g/mol. Let's plug these values into our equation:

M = (mass of solute * molar mass) / liters of solution
0.05 M = (mass of Fe(NO3)3 * 241.86 g/mol) / 0.25 L

We can rearrange this equation to solve for the mass of Fe(NO3)3:
mass of Fe(NO3)3 = (0.05 M * 0.25 L * 241.86 g/mol) / 1 M
mass of Fe(NO3)3 = 3.0225 g

Therefore, the answer is B, 3.0225 g of Fe(NO3)3. I hope this solution was helpful in understanding how to solve complex molarity problems.

What is a complex molarity problem?

A complex molarity problem is a type of calculation used in chemistry to determine the concentration of a solution. It involves multiple steps and may require the use of different formulas to solve.

What is the formula for calculating complex molarity?

The formula for calculating complex molarity is: Molarity (M) = moles of solute (n) / liters of solution (L).

What are some common types of complex molarity problems?

Some common types of complex molarity problems include dilution problems, stoichiometric problems, and problems involving multiple reactants or products.

How do you solve a complex molarity problem?

To solve a complex molarity problem, you need to identify the given information, determine the type of problem, use the appropriate formula, and calculate the final answer.

What are some tips for solving complex molarity problems?

Some tips for solving complex molarity problems include writing out all given information, setting up a clear and organized equation, double-checking your units, and seeking help from a teacher or tutor if needed.