Complex Number equations from roots

In summary, to determine the only real values a, b, c, and d for the equation z^4+az^3+bz^2+cz+d=0 to have z1=3+j and z2=-5+5j as roots, we can use the fact that if 3+j is a root, then 3-j must also be a root. By multiplying (z-z1)(z-z1*) and (z-z2)(z-z2*), we get a value of 500 for d.
DmytriE

Homework Statement

Determine the only real values a, b, c, and d such that the equation:
z4+az3+bz2+cz+d = 0​
has both z1 and z2 as roots.

z1 = 3 + j
z2 = -5 + 5j

Homework Equations

z = x + yj.
z = |z|ej[itex]\theta[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to begin. I can convert between Cartesian coordinates and Euler's formula but don't know where to go from there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi DmytriE! :smile:

Hint: if 3 + j is a root (of a real-coefficient equation), can you spot another root? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
can you spot another root? :wink:

Indeed! Now, I do. Thanks for the hint!

Last edited:
I have calculated the different combination of roots but how do I know which variable (a,b,c,d) the values go to? When I multiplied z1, z1*, z2, and z2* I got a value of 500. Would that go into d?

It seems logical when I compare it to a second degree polynomial...

DmytriE said:
When I multiplied z1, z1*, z2, and z2* I got a value of 500. Would that go into d?

Yes.

But why not do it all in one go? …

Find (z - z1)(z - z1*), then (z - z2)(z - z2*), then multiply them. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Yes.

But why not do it all in one go? …

Find (z - z1)(z - z1*), then (z - z2)(z - z2*), then multiply them. :wink:

Great! Thank you again. I keep forgetting that z is a variable so I was strictly looking for the number rather than the equation with the coefficients.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How do you solve equations with complex number roots?

To solve equations with complex number roots, you can use the quadratic formula. However, if the equation has a higher degree, you may need to use more advanced methods such as factoring or the cubic formula.

3. Can a complex number have more than one root?

Yes, a complex number can have multiple roots. For example, the complex number 4 + 0i has two roots: 2 + 0i and -2 + 0i. However, some complex numbers, such as 0 + 3i, only have one root: 0 + 3i.

4. How do you graph complex numbers?

To graph complex numbers, you can plot them on a complex plane. The real component is plotted on the x-axis, and the imaginary component is plotted on the y-axis. The point where the two components intersect is the location of the complex number on the plane.

5. Can complex numbers be used in real-life applications?

Yes, complex numbers have many real-life applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are often used to represent and analyze oscillations, alternating currents, and vibrations, among other things.