Complex Numbers- Square root 3i

In summary: suggests that in summary, the person is having trouble solving the sqrt 3i part and needs help from someone who knows more about the topic.
JC_003
(1- sqrt 3i) ^3

I am having trouble solving the sqrt 3i part. I think I need to use de moivres theorem but I am unsure. If someone could push me in the right direction that would be a massive help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the question exactly? You want to write that complex number in its polar representation or as x+iy? Either way start with writing [itex]1-\sqrt{(3i)}[/itex] in the polar representation. Once you have that it is easy to compute [itex](1-\sqrt{(3i)})^3[/itex].

Last edited:
I think he meant:

[tex]\sqrt[3]{1-i\sqrt{3}}[/tex]

Use De Moivre's theorem to find all the solutions.

The question is:

If z= 5 +4i, write the number z(|z|^2-(1- sqrt3i)^3) in the form a+bi.

I am able to sub everything in but I want to simplify the (1- sqrt3i)^3. The square root has thrown me off.

I take it the i is inside the square root? Try to write it in the form [itex]3i=|z|e^{i\phi}[/itex] then take the square root on both sides.

Is that meant to the theta or phi? Silly question I know. I have in my notes a simalar formula for Eulers formula but that uses theta not phi... Another silly question I know but by changing the sq root 3i into a simple number going to give me the same result as getting the polar representation of the whole (1 - sqrt3i) ^3?

It doesn't matter whether it's called phi, theta or JC_003 it is just a variable which represents the angle between |z| and the positive real axis. You will get the same answer both ways, as it should. However the angle theta is pretty hard to find for [itex]1-\sqrt{3i}[/itex]. I suggest you write [itex]\sqrt{3i}=x+iy[/itex] first and then continue from there.

If this is an exercise from a text, I'd be very carefull about whether the question concerns

[tex](\sqrt{3})i[/tex]​

or

[tex]\sqrt{(3i)}[/tex]​

Huge difference.

The question is not clear enough for me to help effectively, but I suspect -8 shows up somewhere.

--Elucidus

Related to Complex Numbers- Square root 3i

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. The imaginary part is represented by the letter "i", which stands for the square root of -1. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. What is the square root of 3i?

The square root of 3i is a complex number that, when squared, equals 3i. It can be written as √3i or √(3i)^2. In its simplest form, it is equal to √3 * i.

3. How do you perform operations with complex numbers, such as addition and multiplication?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For multiplication and division, you use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last) just like with binomials. For example, (a + bi) * (c + di) = ac + adi + bci + bdi^2. You then simplify using the fact that i^2 = -1.

4. Can complex numbers be graphed on a coordinate plane?

Yes, complex numbers can be graphed on a coordinate plane called the complex plane. The horizontal axis represents the real part and the vertical axis represents the imaginary part. The point (a, bi) on the complex plane corresponds to the complex number a + bi.

5. What is the significance of complex numbers in mathematics?

Complex numbers are important in mathematics as they allow for the solution of certain equations that cannot be solved with real numbers alone. They also have applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Additionally, the study of complex numbers has led to the development of important concepts like the fundamental theorem of algebra and the Cauchy-Riemann equations.